Anyone have a picture of the single Z11 shipped to Iowa?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wholeheartedly support your cloning of that car, but.......you gotta clone the ramp truck too:salute
My dad has a truck which is nearly a spitting image industrial tilt bed. Need to hack off the 1/4 plate welded on the bed. Stupid heavy. Just went and looked at it yesterday. Hydro wench has an inch thick wire cable on it. Way over kill. Probably moved dozers with it. Has the super dangerous 2 piece wheels so new axles all around is a must. 2 speed rear end as well.

Last edited:

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Vincent Fiala was the lucky one from Cedar Rapids that got a Z-11. It was delivered through Rapids Chevrolet in Cedar Rapids. He only had it for one season then got a deal with Plymouth out of Stebor Motors for 1964. That car has not been found but I believe it's still out there.
I spent an evening with Vince a number of years ago and he showed me pictures of the car, shared stories, etc. He said he had to visit with some Chevrolet Zone people to get the car. I believe the picture Mark posted was when he took it to the indoor drag races in Chicago in early 1964.
I'm from Iowa, too (Washington) so I have dreamt of doing the same this you're thinking of! I'll have to look up the interior color when I get home. I think it was red.
Please let us know if you find more pictures of the car!

Ross

Pats 409

Well Known Member
My dad has a truck which is nearly a spitting image industrial tilt bed. Need to hack off the 1/4 plate welded on the bed. Stupid heavy. Just went and looked at it yesterday. Hydro wench has an inch thick wire cable on it. Way over kill. Probably moved dozers with it. Has the super dangerous 2 piece wheels so new axles all around is a must. 2 speed rear end as well.
Nothing wrong or unsafe with 2 or 3 piece wheels they still make them, the dangerous ones are the "true split rims" in which the valve stem slot goes right out the edge of the wheel, not to be confused with "lock ring style wheels" check them out and see what they look like I'm sure they are not true split rims. I have many antique trucks in my collection with lock ring style rims.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The unsafe wheels were made by Firestone, got the nickname "widow maker" wheels. That appears to be a 6 hole Budd wheel. It shouldn't be too hard to find replacement wheels.