Anyone here ever build their own auto Rotisserie?

bobs409

Administrator
I'm toying with the idea of building one. That's what I get for looking through this Eastwood catalog! Will be nice for an upcoming resto on my 69 Chevelle. :deal

You can buy one there for $949.99 for the base model, unpainted but I KNOW I can build one for a heck of a lot less. (probably about $300 in materials as a rough guesstimate)

A quick search on Google and I found many sources for free plans for these.

If you built one or even bought one, lets here from you. Pro's and con's would be good.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I still have the one we built for my 55 Chev convertible bqck in the early 90's. I plan to use it on my 57 project.
I't's basically square tube main longitudianal frame in two different diameters to slide inside so as to be adjustable in length as well as to dissassemble it for storage. One end has fixed 10" pneumatic tires/wheels on the ends of square tube axle with a vertical stanchion and rotating crossbar and adjustable (inwidth) mounting bar. this end bolts under the trunk floor .
The front end has a steerable square tube axle with 10" pneumatic tires . The upright is telescoped with a long hydraulic cylinder for adjustment and the crossbar is mounted in a bearing to rotate with a gear and chain arrangement with a hand crank and locking pins/holes to lock the body in various positions. The crossbar is adjustable to mount to the front body mounts at the bottom of the firewall.
I might be able to get pics if interested.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I bought mine there were instructions on one of the mags, however I paid about $350 so no way I would have even considered building one. At over $900 you can definitely build one cheaper.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I built one about 15 years ago. I haven't seen it for a out 10 years!
I needed one for a 38 Ford I was building. When I got done using it,
Guy's I know wanted to borrow it, so it's been passed around.

For one end, I used a I beam axle complete with spindles off of a
48 Chevy 1/2 ton panel truck. The other end, I used a rear axle assembly
From a 74 nova.
I built my rotating assemblies off of these. I wanted to be able to
roll the whole rig out of my shop & around the back to sand blast.
With the 14" car wheels & tires, and the steering ability on the I beam
it's easy to move around, even in gravel & dirt, if need be.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Bob,
I have this Rotobody that I bought back in the 90s I can take up close pictures and give you the dimension if you would like?Velvet 017 (Small).jpg And it was the best $800 i spent

bobs409

Administrator
BSL, that's a sturdy looking unit. Most I've seen only have 1 tube running front to back and only 4 casters.

I like the idea of possibly using pneumatic tires as mine would be used in my carport and I have crushed stone for now.

Cecil, your gear & chain method sounds interesting. Maybe a pic of that? :deal

How hard is it to rotate a body on these just by hand? Aren't they top heavy like turning an engine on a stand?

I can just see me turning it and all of a sudden, go for a ride to the ceiling of my carport! :eek

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Pics aren't too good....looks like I need a new camera.

Rotisserie011.jpg

Rotisserie010.jpg

Rotisserie009.jpg

Rotisserie008.jpg

Rotisserie007.jpg

Rotisserie006.jpg

Rotisserie005.jpg

Rotisserie004.jpg

Rotisserie003.jpg

Rotisserie002.jpg

Rotisserie001.jpg

Rotisserie012.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Man..................look how that thing has rusted sooo bad in the Arizona weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobs409

Administrator
WOW. Not sure where I could get the sprocket set up but that's high tech! Beats the ones for sale. :)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This one is home made as well and the head is from a sprinkler set used on the large sprinklers you see on the farms. This is the gear box that is used to rotate the sprinkler set to another part of the field. It works like a charm. With just a small turn of the crank you can adjust the body to any position making it comfortable to work on...:deal
Rotisserie Head.jpg

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Phil, Scott and I would certainly enjoy the trip, but we are both very sliiiim on the cash part. I'm confident that Cecil's stash is a treasure trove and I could spend days just looking. Except for NOT having gas, food, lodging, and parts money, I'm good to go!!!! :bang :brow:roll

Lonnie