Anyone here into bees?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If they are in the chimney it might be difficult to get them out. The queen is most certainly in there already, she will not leave her brood, are you sure they are honey bees and not yellow jackets. I used to be a beekeeper. How much room can there be? Are the getting into the stud wall behind the chimney?

Finally, I knew someone here had to have been a bee keeper.

About a month ago they were swarming around my chimney, I lit logs and they dispersed. However they moved over a couple feet to a gap in the stucco between the bricks and wall. I sprayed the heck out of them with some poison and they left. A week later some more returned to the same spot, I sprayed again and they left. Now about two weeks later some have returned again. I'm surprised at how they can be completely gone for a week or two and then return. Do you think the queen can still be in here and without assistance for a week or two? Can it be a scent left? Puzzled.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Mike, she could still be in there, certainly her pheromones, if you're spraying them with poison just keep spraying them, evantually you'll get rid of them. Feral or wild honey bees are very rare anymore, you probably had a swarm from another hive settle in the chimney area. Honeybees are natures best pollinators and today's plant and garden chemicals are very harmful to bees. It would have been nice to call a local beekeepers association they have ways of capturing and saving the bees.

Clint

Well Known Member
Finally, I knew someone here had to have been a bee keeper.

About a month ago they were swarming around my chimney, I lit logs and they dispersed. However they moved over a couple feet to a gap in the stucco between the bricks and wall. I sprayed the heck out of them with some poison and they left. A week later some more returned to the same spot, I sprayed again and they left. Now about two weeks later some have returned again. I'm surprised at how they can be completely gone for a week or two and then return. Do you think the queen can still be in here and without assistance for a week or two? Can it be a scent left? Puzzled.
If you shot them with pesticides a bee keeper won't come get them.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I guess Honey Bee's are a hot commodity right now I guess there's a bunch of Nitwits stealing them. There was a shortage of them a couple of years ago.

Mark

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
If they are still going in and out of the hole do not seal them in the wall of the house, they will find a way out, usually into the house.
That's for sure.:eek3 We had Honey Bee's, in our outside wall, a few years ago. They were going in, under the window sill.. I kept spraying bee killer down the hole, but never really got them. They kept moving, to another part of the wall cavity. I decided to seal the hole with caulking. That pissed them off.:bat Like you said Tom, they were trying to get into the house. I could hear them chewing or scratching.:drop Finally. I ended up drilling a hole, through the inside wall, and sprayed a combination of Brake Clean and Bee spray. That did the trick.:clap Weve had a few nice days, of warm weather, and the bee's are very active already.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I should get some "FREEZE" wasp killer, that stuff is dynamite. It'll knock those little rascals out in a split second. Nasty stuff.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I had some yellow jackets ,I guess that's what they were that built a nest next to a gate. My wife said they attacked her when she went through the gate. I forgot about her saying that till I went out some time later and I got buzzed too. So I get the berryman choke cleaner and hit them on the nest and did not get all at one time ,but after a couple times I wiped them out. Even got some flying around there with a good shot. This crap will burn your eyes, so it knocks them down.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Like Tom had said Bee keepers will usually come get them for free if they are honey bees

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The best thing to kill honeybees is plain old liquid soap mixed with water, absolutely deadly. I have used that combo on diseased hives many times.

I read that on the web, also they say vinegar and water. I'm on my last gal or two of the bug poison.

I'll probably mix up some of that soap when my poison runs out. I have a 4 gallon electric/battery sprayer, works great shoots a heavy stream out about 10 ft