Anyone know a good engine guy for my 348, near Columbus, Ohio.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If they put a Thumper cam in it,it likely has some bent valves in there.Decide what your actual performance goals are then we can get into specific items needed to meet or exceed your expectations.If it is a double notch block,then you are going to need a good piston in there.A 10.5 piston when placed in a double notch block will only net you just under 9-1.For good performance over all,I'd say 9.5-1 would be minimum.Also what are the head casting numbers that are on the engine now?

Dave Adams

I'll get the casting numbers,
Really I just want I reliable motor that can smoke the tires, not really looking to race it, although if it has to be completely tore down I'd like to get what I can for the buck.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
First get that engine down and lets see exactly what's in there.Second,what's it going in,what transmission and what's the rear gear that you're wanting to run.What intake and carb are you running?What's on it for exhaust?

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
Check the gear ratio again,to see if its a 3.36,3..66 doesn't jive with any gear sets that I've heard of for the chevy 8.2,the closest I've heard of was a 3.70. I think there was a 3.64 for a buick a-body 10 bolt and possibly for the 9.3 olds/pontiac rear.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave,when you get a chance can you post a picture of the tops of the pistons please? It looks like the PO had a truck/industrial 348,and some dummy stuck a completely wrong cam for the build in there.For what you want to do,and to keep the cost down,most of that engine can be saved.The heads and intake will not do at all ,and oboviosly the cam will have a home in the recycle bin.A Show Cars 0950 cam will do,you'll need the valve springs to go with the cam.That engine likely didn't run more than 60 seconds,so the lifters can be reused,as can the rockers,timing chain,gears,engine bearings,oil pump ,crank and rods.You'll need to find a decent intake,the cheapest being a 340 horse 409 ,and either a 333 or better yet a set of 817's for your choice of heads.You'll also need a better piston to get some semblance of compression in there.If the exhaust manifolds have the 2 1/2 outlets,good,if 2 inch bad.