Anyone use one of these distributors?

33Chevy

I need a 348 distributor and spotted these on eBay....one concern is if the module is available should it fail. Anyone used one of these?

distributor.jpg

Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TALL-BLOCK-...&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a2114b203&autorefresh=true

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Hard to believe that they can sell this electronic ignition system for $69 and still make a buck considering all of the hands it has passed through to the point of sale. I have not heard anything recently, but previous versions of these cheap distributors had serious problems with the oil groove being wrong causing oil flow problems. Personally, I could not trust a $69 ignition system to be dependable an keep my motor lit up. Many of us are using the stock dist. body with the the Pertronix module or the spendy MSD system. JMHO Leo

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your needing a whole new dist. I'm using the Pertronics III complete dist. I set rev limiter at 6500 and it's still there and working flawless. Very happy with it. If you have a stock one the pertronic modules work good.

33Chevy

Worked at an outfit briefly that sold Chinese made distributors. The GM non-metallic composite versions often were molded way under the annular ring size of 1.2475 and 1.2490. The result was a serious loss of oil pressure and often-complete engines. I know now to measure any replacement distributor…some guys like to polish the heck out of the distributor body, which under sizes the annular rings. If you do replace a distributor have someone monitor the oil pressure when it starts…just in case it needs to be shut down.

This forum made me aware that the W block distributor body actually has an annular ring block at the back…. wasn’t aware of that . Confirmed by looking at my "broken body" 348-truck distributor…but understand that the block isn’t required either.

BTW: Japanese bearings worked great…Chinese bearings and modules didn’t.

Thanks for the responses..

coogan

Well Known Member
I bought two of the pro-comps, one for my 409 and one for my 383 sbc. I haven't tried them yet as I'm still building the projects. I would think for $69 you would just buy another distributor vs. replacing the module. The well respected engine shop I deal with said he's had no problems with the procomp stuff. I'm sure everyone will jump in and say they are junk but I'm willing to give it a try. What drew me to procomp was that its ready to run plus I like building engines that look more to the old school side. I'm sure MSD is a better product but I don't like the billet look with an ugly red cap. Here's a pic of my 383 which I should have running in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• ins3.JPG
    ins3.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 14
  • ins4.JPG
    ins4.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 12

33Chevy

I bought two of the pro-comps, one for my 409 and one for my 383 sbc. I haven't tried them yet as I'm still building the projects. I would think for $69 you would just buy another distributor vs. replacing the module. The well respected engine shop I deal with said he's had no problems with the procomp stuff. I'm sure everyone will jump in and say they are junk but I'm willing to give it a try. What drew me to procomp was that its ready to run plus I like building engines that look more to the old school side. I'm sure MSD is a better product but I don't like the billet look with an ugly red cap. Here's a pic of my 383 which I should have running in the next few weeks.

coogan

The body of the distributor appears to have the module integrated? I understand the point about just buy another distributor, but does the module look anything at all like an OEM unit? The outfit I used to work for that sold the Taiwanese distributors got a bunch back for module failure (not mechanical failure)....they finally just installed GM modules and they never came back.

Really appreciate your post.

BTW: Kinda curious about the green engine color...streetrod?

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I bought one of these Pro Comp distributors on e-bay, it ran perfect but no oil pressure to the top end, if you buy one go through Showcars, about the same price and they will back it up. Like some of the members have suggested go with the Pertronics, or put a Pertronics kit in your existing distributor. :dunno Pat

coogan

Well Known Member
coogan

BTW: Kinda curious about the green engine color...streetrod?

According to some website I looked at the 65 Chev truck 327 was green. Since its going in my 65 c 10 it was a chance to do something different. If it was orange no one would care. I'm making some high torque 383 stickers for it like the original high torque truck engines had, so it will be interesting at shows to see who spots that here was no 383 back then

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Stock distributor with Pertronix would be a much better choice. I would not wast the money on the Chinese.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I'm with Dan, put a Halo effect module in the stock Dist, I use the Crane version, has a rev limiter up to 8k.

cheers

NASTY 409

Banned
I would NEVER EVER trust a Chinese rollpin(split pin) driving my engines oil pump:eek......... and thats just the first part I would not trust:(Throw it in the garbage or give it to someone who owes you money;)

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I've been using a Pro Comp Chinese distributor for 7 years. I took the module out and have it connected to a MSD 6Al box. Never any problems. For years I carried a spare in the trunk, but sold it last year. Chinese electronics are questionable, but the mechanical part seems reliable. Buy two and keep a spare for the road. Anybody out there know of an American made conversion for the old distributors let us know. Pertronix, Crane, MSD etc...pretty sure they come from China.

coogan

Well Known Member
The topic of the thread is have you used one of these ? not " I would never use something , because its chinese so I'm going to beat everyone over the head with my opinion "
Don't use the procomp if you dont want to.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
showcars sold some a couple of years ago. they went thru the ones that were ok. i have one sitting on the floor.
decided to sell the 63. jim

roger c

Well Known Member
QUOTE "I need a 348 distributor and spotted these on eBay....one concern is if the module is available should it fail. Anyone used one of these?"

distributor.jpg

I bought one from the same seller. It works just fine but the vacuum advance did quit after about 50 miles. I emailed the seller & told him it went bad, but I did not want to return the entire distributor since it was already installed.
The seller customer service was excellent! Sent me out a new vacuum advance immediately, no questions asked. This was about 2 months after the deal was originally done.
I am very pleased with this distributor so far & it was a bargain.

29824_291591900958069_2061483576_n.jpg