Anyone use RockAuto.com

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If anyone uses RockAuto I have a coupon for 5% off until December 1st. Code is: VALBER99
Save a buck so you can buy more! I've had good experience with RockAuto myself.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Most items cost less, but adding the shipping closes the gap.
I buy locally from independents when possible.
I have bought calipers that were missing the copper washers ti mount the flex lines. Not sure if some of their parts could be seconds.
I only bought Timken wheel bearings because they were the only ones made in USA. That has changed. The first pair were for my 06 SS and they were fron Chna. Left front failed at 18 months, about 15000 miles.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I placed an order yesterday, and another today. I just can't find parts for an old 1978 Ford truck locally.
I know where there is a 1978 Ford F250 Lariat Ranger 2wd, 460, auto, a/c, cruise, tool box on passenger side, beautiful fancy interior... :browI think I may have a "camper tow" package as well I think. Could pull a house with it. My wife's fathers truck bought off the show room floor where he worked at the dealer in Omaha. Display model with just about every option you can image. We are going to restore it and add an over drive. I think it will make a nice pulling truck if it had over drive since the rear axle is a 4.11 or something steap. Going down the highway is worthless with the C6 in it now. The 460's didn't have much power in 78 but torque all day. :DIMG_0636.JPG

Junky

Well Known Member
Better order whatever you think that you will need now, because parts for these 42 year old trucks are drying up fast. I couldn't get calipers from Advance (part not listed in there computer), and had to get them from NAPA. Front brake hoses once again, not listed at all, except from Rock Auto. If they don't sell a gazillion of the part, they drop it from inventory, and then the manufacturers drop it next. It is like trying to find parts for my Corvair. Most are only available from a Corvair specialty vendor, not the auto parts store.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Beware of black cats!!!!!!!!
20180715_080149.jpg
How many do you want? We are members of the black cat club around here. These are just the outside cats (kittens were given away to a friend with a farm and a mouse problem) and there are two female black cats that still live outside that I feed every morning. Keep them around because they kill more mice, shrews, squirrels, ground squirrels, rabits and moles than any amount of posion/traps I could put out. We have 4 cats inside and two are black.

Junky

Well Known Member
Soon you will have no mice, moles, rabbits, squirrels, or shrews left, but you will have an invasion of black cats, and will need a big dog to get the black cats into control. Around here, most cats are taken out by the fisher cats that roam the woods. They are the havalinas of the East.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
My 99 Cavalier needs an Exhaust system.:doh Checked local prices at Auto Zone, Advance Auto etc.:drop Checked out Rock Auto.:clap Wow. Big surprise. All set, to pull the trigger. As soon as I got a shipping quote, it appears, I will buy everything locally. The shipping was the deal breaker.:wtfRock Auto was about $ 2.00 cheaper.

Junky

Well Known Member
I have a package that they created the shipping label for it on November 8, along with a USPS tracking number. So far, USPS hasn't received the package, and it is scheduled for delivery on November 12th. I sent an email to "customer support", and the reply was to go to their website and read about shipping. Their site doesn't mention much about shipping, other than they use FedEx and USPS.. Customer service is terrible, and worse than anything that I have ever encountered on line before from any online business.

Junky

Well Known Member
Last night when I checked the tracking number status, it still hadn't been received by USPS.. This morning, USPS reports that it is out for delivery today and should be there by noon. Another package coming from another warehouse is "out for delivery, and should be there by 9 PM. Another package had the shipping label created at 12:36 on Monday, and USPS didn't get it till Wednesday, and it is scheduled to get here by Saturday. Makes no sense to me what the delay in getting packages into the hands of USPS is, since they pick up at their location. The shipping label is the last thing to be created in the shipping department, and goes onto the box as soon as it is printed. The scan the barcode on the order, and the machine spits out the label for the box.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’ve ordered several times from Rock Auto in past year although not this year. Never been disappointed but that’s just my experience.

I’ve had six online orders in the last 2 months. Orders shipped door to door by UPS and FedEx were delivered in a very timely manner. Delivery times of orders shipped by USPS were pretty bad. I live in TN. One order shipped from KS via Mississippi! It spent 3 days sitting there! Total delivery time 11 days!

The tracking info for the other two USPS shipments was pretty useless. I think updating their tracking system in a timely manner is often not a priority.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
In the past several months, I've noticed that USPS has become increasingly inefficient(like they were efficient before). I have had packages reaching Lehigh Valley distribution center, which is 2 hours away, then get shipped to Indiana or New Jersey. Then a couple days later, end up in back Lehigh Valley again. Then are sent to our local post office.