ANYONE WITH A 700R4 AND MY CROSS MEMBER

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anybody that has one installed could you please tell me something. The mounting plate has an elongated hole for rubber pad adjustment, about 2.25" long. With a 700R4 can you tell me where the pads bolt ended up, in the middle, half inch from one end or the other or? Please.s-l16.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm asking about mine not some other one. Mine fits without issue also but I'm going to make it adjustible for longer transmissions and need to know where it is with a 700R4 so I can make the changes.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'll try and check mine in the next couple days Mike, but I'm pretty sure the trans mount bolt is almost at the end of the slot away from the cross tube.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very much, thanks.
I've noticed some of those trans have that extra mount on the tailshaft, just aft of the speedo
Looks like you have shims under the rubber pad, was this to center the shaft in the driveshaft hole?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The shims were used to set the driveling angles Mike. Had to adjust a few times to eliminate a slight vibration. No issues with the trans tunnel clearance. I'm very happy with the mount.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll have you another picture tonight but from what I recall its at the front of the slot like Jim's.

TomO

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys, this was perfect.
I have been getting more inquiries on 4L80 trans, which is a few inches longer then the 700R4. So I'm looking at making it adjustable to slide rearward to fit longer trans. The T400 is also longer. I know the lengths just needed to make sure where I'm at now.
Why they want to use the 4L80 is beyond me, I've always felt the 700 is the way to go, but then I also get inquiries for the Th400

Last edited:

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Thanks guys, this was perfect.
I have been getting more inquiries on 4L80 trans, which is a few inches longer then the 700R4. So I'm looking at making it adjustable to slide rearward to fit longer trans. The T400 is also longer. I know the lengths just needed to make sure where I'm at now.
Why they want to use the 4L80 is beyond me, I've always felt the 700 is the way to go, but then I also get inquiries for the Th400

The 4L80E you can just about use bone stock probably a torque converter upgrade and it will not grenade like a 4l60/65. You can pick them up for peanuts out of 3/4T pickups or Cargo vans. Once your on to your second or third 4l60/65 it pays for itself. My old Trailblazer SS ate 2 before the third one went in and was close to $6,000 Kevlar clutches and bands, billet input shaft, Yank convertor, hardened sun shell, sonnax servo, transgo shift kit, reworked valve body with all the upgrades only to have the in radiator transcooler fail and fill the trans with dexcool $200 radiator failed and wiped out a $6,000 trans. Looked like a strawberry shake exploded under the hood. To say I was pissed off was an understatement, had to do ANOTHER soft parts overhaul and I sold the truck I was so pissed.

That being said I am on the fence if I am going to swap an LS into my 61 Brookwood project or just throw a 700R4 in it so this new crossmember you are working on should work with either one, correct? Do you have an idea when you might be ready to go with them? How much ?