Aquasco Raceway,Aquasco,Md.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You all got me thinking about my old days racing my 64 Impala.I raced about 20 times at this track in its hey day..All of you Mid Atlantic guys are probably familiar with Aqausco Raceway,in Aquasco ,Md.The track was located real close to MIR(Maryland International Raceway ) that is so popular today,especially with the show"Pinks"..It was the first 1/4 mile drag strip on the east coast.It was owned and operated by the same people who owned Capitol Raceway in Crofton ,Md,and Cecil County Raceway in Rising Sun,Md.These were the first 3 tracks to use the Richeous Brothers Band ,Instrumental version of the song "Rat Race",which was the instrumental opening for the old drag race commercials that started out with the saying"Sunday,Sunday" at beautiful so,and so dragstrip. Aquasco opened in the early 50's,and was in existence to 1972.Today it still exists,untouched but very grown over.Mother Earth has really taken the track back.Robert and Dick,maybe Bob Walker(when he was a little guy) will remember this track.As a matter fact there are some pictures of Bob's Uncle's Banning Dodge Cars there,check it out.Just click on the sight below,and enjoy the pictures and the reading.Second sight is a mixture of Aquasco,Capitol,Raceway Park,York US 30,and Raceway Park,Englishtown,NJ,. John

.http://www.atomicpinup.com/Aquasco_Speedway.html

http://www.seriousviewers.com/drags/photos1.htm

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
thanx, John...............maybe they'll open aquasco and maryland will be back to 6 trax like the old days.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Bob,is that your Dad(wearing shorts),standing over the motor compartment in front of the Banning Dodge car.I think it is in the second sight of pictures. Was some pretty stiff competition in those days.Seems like every dealership had a race car running for them. John

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
John: Thanks for the photos. Yep I have memories of Aquasco and I do remember the am radio ads. I didn't realize though it was not a housing project.
robert