Area 41 Nostalgia Drags

de31168

Well Known Member
Had a fun time at US41 Saturday at their first ever nostalgia drag race. One pass was a little scary as one of the coupes or gassers left some oil just before the finish line that nobody caught. It was a little hairy going through there at 132mph. This was a decent launch on the day. 1.35 short time. Best of 9.91. Next race is next weekend at Joliet running the NHRA Lucas Oil Division 3 event in Super Gas. Normally these cars are in Stock or Super Stock. I don't think anyone has ever run a big car or a 409 in Super Gas before, but I'm going to!

Here is a Facebook album from the photographer at the track.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/AChicksEyeView/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1423771277725061

de31168

Well Known Member
36872549_1423779797724209_3060971119675703296_o.jpg

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:clapWhat are your reaction times now, presuming .500 full tree? Can any adjustments be made to get the front tires to pop straight up out of the beams Super Gas style?:brow

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is it legal to use a hydraulic throwout bearing in that class? Then you could hook it up to a line lock type solenoid and release the clutch with a button. You could even use a delay box.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes! David know more on the track than I. That said they are very friendly and prep the track very well all the time.

de31168

Well Known Member
It depends on what you want from the track as a group. This was a first time event for the track that was organized by one of the gasser guys. It was set up as a track rental I suppose. However there was some misinformation going around based on the flyer. The flyer stated that it was a three day weekend - fri - sat - sun. The entry fee was 50 dollars for car driver and 2 crew for the whole weekend. It was supposed to be 1970 and older and included a car show and swap meet should you choose to do that as well. Spectator Admission 10 bucks. However that was not the case as Friday night had Street Car Chaos and Sunday was open test and tune to all cars. Saturday was the only 1970 and older specific day. There were some Nostalgia racers who were in an uproar to have to share the track with newer cars on Fri and Sun, but the turnout was still great. In fact that might have been the most spectators ive seen at the place in a while. They said they were really using it as a trial run to see how the turnout would be before making it a specific nostalgia only weekend. They had a small turnout for the car show (15-20 cars i think?) and maybe 5 guys in the swap meet.

I do not know if the same thing will be offered next year - IE - 50 bucks for the weekend, 10 for spectators, 10 for the car show, 10 for a swap meet space. They didn't have car show awards or classes but gave $250 to the best looking car. I don't know who judged that.

I do know the track owner and the guys that run the place and they are all friendly people and love ideas. As far as a 348-409 meet I do not think that they would offer a purse to do it. I do think that they would happily let us run any race within a race that we wanted to. That was how I ran the Vintage Super Stock Series events we had there. They run us as a class when we were ready, the tower gave me all the run printouts, etc. They didn't care if you kept running even if you lost in eliminations, if you wanted to keep making test passes or even grudge race your buddy for fun, you came up with the rest of the class, put a dial on the window and they'd stagger the tree for you.

I am sure they would let us organize our own race, a gamblers race if the guys wanted to put in 50 bucks each and run for a pot. This is what I remember doing at Thompson back in 2010 for our race anyhow. You can have specific grudge races if you'd like. You can just have open testing. The are really open with anything that a specific group would want to do. In future years they might offer a payout but I doubt it if you can run non stop for 3 days for 50 bucks. Although I understand some things like Super Chevy is an exhibition and some things like the Memorial races and Hot Rod Reunion are actual competition. However it is nice to have a mix of the both so that you don't drive 500 miles (like to Bowling Green for example) make 2 passes, lose round 1, and then go home. If you want to run the wheels off the thing they will let you here.