Area 41 Nostalgia Drags

de31168

Well Known Member
How did the pro tree race go David ?

Not well. Unfortunately the car spun really bad on the first time trial and killed the 60 foot and I only went 10.10. We changed some things for the 2nd run and it was worse. Then on Saturday it rained all morning and we lost our 3rd time run and had first round eliminations pushed til 8pm. It was going to be great, running between the jet cars and the other show, the air was cool and crisp and the stands had quite the crowd. I had no choice but to take a shot at the tree, but we were hopeful the car was gonna run a good number. Unfortunately my shot at the tree was .070 red. To make matters worse, something inside the transmission broke, so even though I came to a stop after the burnout and shifted to first gear, the car still launched in third gear. So that was a waste. And if that wasn't bad enough, the other guys light was .004 red. Don't know if he reacted to me, or if I never moved I would have won. No matter with the trans damage I suppose. On the plus side the car got a ton of attention for what it is in the class it is running. We got a mention in the wrap up article on Competition Plus and a few photos in the gallery.

http://competitionplus.com/CPSportsman/north-central-division-burndown-sundown-results

http://competitionplus.com/drag-race/gallery/misc-and-testing---2018/burndown-at-sundown

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very cool photo's:beerSorry to hear about the G box, you guys have an awesome car and will sort out no doubt.:clap
With all due respect, how do you go red on a 0.400 pro tree? I also raced a 0.400 pro tree but DYO last weekend, and even with the car fully jacked up for a quicker than usual start line leave the best I could do was a 0.180 green reaction time. :scratchGrudge Kings 1.jpg

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave%20Wesolowski.JPG

8G6A2360.jpg

You sure looked good.:appl:appl:appl

de31168

Well Known Member
With all due respect, how do you go red on a 0.400 pro tree? I also raced a 0.400 pro tree but DYO last weekend, and even with the car fully jacked up for a quicker than usual start line leave the best I could do was a 0.180 green reaction time. :scratch

Thanks!

Shortened the clutch rod and put it up 3 inches higher to make the pivot react quicker.. ancient chinese secret.. all the Pro Stocks do it.. :rub

No but really it was real simple.. wait for both of us to be staged... 1 - 2 - 3 - GO! My foot was coming up before the light started to come on. Just a tick more and who knows, could have had a .00! My other pro tree lights were .180 and .160. The best i've ever had was a .110. The way the car reacts and the way I stage it, as soon as I see the bottom yellow on a .500 tree I leave. So unless I gambled or rolled in a little deeper (but there's no way to tell how far) i'm not going to get any quicker.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah, being DYO, I just try and stage the car is the same spot every time, rolling in deep on a pro tree is a gamble and not consistent for me, heads up would be different I suppose, not much time after both in full stage, miss the flash and you're ash!
Love the old school tricks to try and get the car to react quicker:beerAt the end of the day it's all about having fun with these old cars:clap

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My best is .045. Usually .060 is really good for me and my average is .080-.090. Tough in a heavy car with a lot of front end travel. My linkage is pretty fast but I usually run a little larger air gap.

RussC

Well Known Member
I was pretty consistent.020/.050. Occasionally .00 green or .00 red We ran .050 air gap with the single Bonnifonte. The car had no chassis flex...little front end travel...ridged heim joint four link. The clutch pedal would go from fully depressed to fully engaged in about 3/4" travel!

I have to run on a full tree now...and hate it. If I leave when the last yellow comes on...I get a red light every time. It's hard to set and look at that last bulb and wait. Guess I need more seat time. When I'm "on" .020-.050

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Went to Corduva Super Chevy a couple weeks ago. First race .040 and broke out running guy down. Bought back in and went .004 RED.....:dunno:dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I was pretty consistent.020/.050. Occasionally .00 green or .00 red We ran .050 air gap with the single Bonnifonte. The car had no chassis flex...little front end travel...ridged heim joint four link. The clutch pedal would go from fully depressed to fully engaged in about 3/4" travel!

I have to run on a full tree now...and hate it. If I leave when the last yellow comes on...I get a red light every time. It's hard to set and look at that last bulb and wait. Guess I need more seat time. When I'm "on" .020-.050
How "deep" of a red on a full tree,Russ?

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How the cars react is really interestng. I can't change where I leave on the tree, weather it be top or bottom bulb, muscle memory, but I can change the car. I run a 28" front @ 36psi for our full 0.400 tree and a 26" front @ 46psi for 0.400 pro tree, and a whole lot of other top secret stuff as well:brow:laugh4

GK day.jpg In this shot 26" fronts 0.400 pro tree