ArmaSteel main caps.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That kinda is my understanding that the X indicates blocks cast at CFD (central foundry division) and they had the Arma Steel main caps. The X was an identifier as to the blocks with the upgrades as they used the same casting numbers. They changed foundries mid stream and CFD blocks have the X on the front.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
When they went to cfd the x appeared.The 348 was only in production for the trucks by that time and all the w's were cast at the same foundry,it makes sense that they has the same features.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Does anybody have pics of what the difference is? Are they visually identifiable?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Armasteel has the x on the front Tim, if that’s what you mean? An x cast into the block, driver’s side below where the head/intake bolts on.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Armasteel has the x on the front Tim, if that’s what you mean? An x cast into the block, driver’s side below where the head/intake bolts on.
I think mine does. I was doing some cleaning on the old parts today while the block is getting done and I found green paint that matches John Deere under the orange. I’ll have to check the block when it comes back from Allyn. Just didn’t know if theres a visual difference in case somebody changed them somewhere along the 59 years!

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think mine does. I was doing some cleaning on the old parts today while the block is getting done and I found green paint that matches John Deere under the orange. I’ll have to check the block when it comes back from Allyn. Just didn’t know if theres a visual difference in case somebody changed them somewhere along the 59 years!

They would have had to have ground off the X on the front left side of the block.

427John

Well Known Member
I think Tim is referring to the possibility a previous owner/rebuilder swapping a set of non armasteel caps onto an X block.I'm kind of curious if there are any identifying marks on the armasteel caps myself.

Reactions: Tim

427John

Well Known Member
Tim is your engine a 348 or 409?If 348 is it single or double notch and if 409 is it single or no notch?John Deere green?I've heard that W's were used some combines don't know if they were 348' or 409's though.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Mines a Double Notch 348 “truck” block. I’ve read they were used in agriculture too.
My curiosity is if there were identity marks other than the X on the block that are on the caps. They are different but how do you tell if they are on the bench

427John

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what the composition of armasteel is?Is it a type of cast steel or a type of nodular iron?If it is a cast steel the more silver appearance would make sense,the cast steel stroker cranks I've seen definitely look more silver than nodular cast iron cranks.

Reactions: Tim