ArmaSteel main caps.

427John

Well Known Member
I believe the Chevrolet industrial engines were used not only in trucks but marine,agricultural,and stationary power units also.They seem to all be the same unlike Ford who had different versions of same engine family for truck,marine, or power units.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
:dunnoW motors were in a lot of things other than cars and trucks. When I found the green paint I figure mine was in a combine or something. May even have been painted green for a commercial truck?

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The arms steel caps do have arma steel cast into them on the top. Here are some pictures the top is non arma steel and the lower is arma steel. Also notice the bolts for arma steel are shouldered by the head and the others are straight. Hope this helps.8551FA8E-5282-4A57-BB42-40F235E2B872.jpegF1509E68-ECA3-4372-9068-70A53607C7C6.jpeg7885839D-E013-4BB1-B870-4E72498F26EE.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The arms steel caps do have arma steel cast into them on the top. Here are some pictures the top is non arma steel and the lower is arma steel. Also notice the bolts for arma steel are shouldered by the head and the others are straight. Hope this helps.View attachment 79698View attachment 79699View attachment 79700
That’s perfect! I think we all learned something. Mine are not armasteel. Not that it matters it will be a stroker but a driver, might burn off some tires but no drag racing(unless there’s a ford at the traffic light) and won’t turn a bunch of RPM. Just wondered the difference

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Those ARE NOT Arma steel for the 63 and later blocks.
The 63 and later caps have notches in the end of the caps that index the caps ONTO the main caps to register correctly and tightly to the block. Have to have a set of extras so that they "register correctly". I'll see if I have a cap to take a picture.

Reactions: Tim

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The arms steel caps do have arma steel cast into them on the top. Here are some pictures the top is non arma steel and the lower is arma steel. Also notice the bolts for arma steel are shouldered by the head and the others are straight. Hope this helps.View attachment 79698View attachment 79699View attachment 79700[/QUOTE

I never noticed the caps having ArmaSteel on them before, after viewing your post I went out into the garage and looked at my QA block and sure enough it says ArmaSteel. My block is a 63 engine with the X on the front so it should be pretty easy to tell if an engine block has ArmaSteel main caps.

Attachments

• IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 17

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I never noticed the caps having ArmaSteel on them before, after viewing your post I went out into the garage and looked at my QA block and sure enough it says ArmaSteel. My block is a 63 engine with the X on the front so it should be pretty easy to tell if an engine block has ArmaSteel main caps.
Yup they do but some are hard to read it on them. Phil here are the pictures of the blocks. Don’t see much difference in the register on the block but you can see the main webbing difference. The first picture is a late 58 348 and the second is a 65 car 409.C3E0FF69-BB69-4DC1-AB4C-5BA305CD0FFF.jpeg42BCDE91-442E-44A7-B71B-8F6EEDA07810.jpeg

427John

Well Known Member
The arms steel caps do have arma steel cast into them on the top. Here are some pictures the top is non arma steel and the lower is arma steel. Also notice the bolts for arma steel are shouldered by the head and the others are straight. Hope this helps.View attachment 79698View attachment 79699View attachment 79700
The middle picture also shows the differences in the sides straight up and down for the early ones and the tapered sides for the armasteel caps,while the notched register kind of hides it the armasteel cap does have a wider footprint on the block which will help stability of the cap.It kind of shows the beginning of the train of thought that resulted in the BBC and sbc 400 2 bolt main cap.