ARP Bolts

rickd

Greetings,
I am building a 409 and I am reading that the 2 bolt main ARP kit #135-5002 are too long for the 409 block but work fine on other big blocks. Can anyone verify this and if it is true how much longer are they and can the kit be used. Thanks.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 2 bolt main 1965 & later big block chevy kit will work just fine, BUT they are a little long and there is another kit that fits better. I think it's the one for a Chrysler 392 if memory serves correctly- - and often it doesn't. Ronnie Russell found the one that works and posted it on here somewhere. I'll try to find it and post it up.

rickd

Jason, thanks for the info but the threads discuss studs and not bolts. I believe I found somewhere that the bolts are 200K too long. I will keep looking to find it.
Thanks again. Please let me know if you find something.
Rick

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You're right I was thinking about main studs not bolts. I do remember reading that the bolts were slightly too long and that they came with thick washers that took up most of the difference, but not all of it. Since the 392 studs are right, I wonder if the ARP bolts for the 392 would work for the 348/409's? Maybe check an ARP catalog and see if they list lengths for their different part numbers?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
According to Show Cars,the big block bolts are .200 too long,which can easily be remedied by tapping the main bolt holes in the block .250[1/4 in.] deeper,or grind .200 of the offending material from the bolt.Tapping the holes is easier.

rickd

Gents,
I spoke with ARP today and the Main Bolt kit for the BB Chevy is .200 too long (bolts are 3.50 inches long) for the 409 but you can us the Chrysler kit #140-5001 (bolts are 3.25 inches long). The bolts are .250 shorter. He HIGHLY recommends NOT using the 5 bolt pack sold in any lengths under 5 inches due to the material used in those kits are not suitable for main cap bolts.
Thanks for the help.
Rick

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Rick that is interesting as you used to could buy either grade of their bolts in those packs. Although in the past I talked to 3 different techs on torque specs for a set and got different info from each one!

heddrik

Well Known Member
Cut the too long bolts on a lathe to the proper length. Take it slow and don't get bolts hot, will ruin temper/strength.