ARRG!!! B-17 Crashes. (no serious injuries)

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
And to think, after all this plane went through in WWII.

Liberty Belle" B-17 makes fiery emergency landing in cornfield

Seven crew members and volunteers walked away without serious injury after a World War II "Flying Fortress" bomber burned in a cornfield southeast of Aurora Municipal Airport on Monday, June 13, officials say. The B-17, christened the "Liberty Belle," took off from the airport at 9:30 a.m. and made an emergency landing in a cornfield near Highway 71 and Minkler Road in Oswego after the pilot reported an engine fire, according to Sugar Grove Fire Chief Marty Kunkle.
download.spark

Here's more...
http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/06/14/6854686-wreckage-of-wwii-bomber-liberty-belle

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A dozen or so years ago I was working on our airport in Portland and watched a B-17 take off only to return shortly afterwards with one engine on fire making a fast landing, Airports have some of the fastest firetrucks!, they were able to put it out with no real damage to the plane.:clap:clap:clap

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What a bunch of crap. The locals did'nt want to get their precious fire trucks dirty. The B17 managed to land without tearing the gear off. How muddy could it have been?????? Leo
I am going to have to agree with Leo on this one. I am glad the crew got out safe but, what a tragic ending to a piece of American History....:cry

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
What a bunch of crap. The locals did'nt want to get their precious fire trucks dirty. The B17 managed to land without tearing the gear off. How muddy could it have been?????? Leo
If it was like the wet fields here, they would not have made it 30 feet and would have been really stuck.