Assist power steering pics please?

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
I too k off 1963 power assist steering from a fire damaged Impala. Took pics of the set up. Lost pics. Now trying to reinstall using a 1961 shop manual. Things are different from 61 to 63? Got exactly the right new parts for 63 but things are not going back as they came apart. Pics of an installed set up would be great. Did a search in this site for such things but no luck. Thx Michael:rub

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
looked up on google came up with this pic. hope it helps.....
9b_zps95474615.jpg

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I also think the hydraulic ram has a slight difference in the location of the PSCV and fluid pressure line and fluid return line connections. About 90deg compared to the 61. I will stand corrected though.

Just make sure you follow the correct layout per the 61 manual, and correct PSCV adjustment.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It sounds like Dr.Phil has stated the solution,you have the wrong centerlink.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Is your idler arm installed correctly? I have seen the arm that attaches to the frame installed 180 degrees off which messes up the the passenger side.
The engine is out of my 62 right now. I know that is the wrong year, but I could take a photo of it. if that would help. It has P/S.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The pittman arms are different also but if he took everything off a 63...it should fit and 58-64.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Michael,if you go into forums...choose 58-65 vehicles...there's a thread titled 61-64 online manuals,open and choose 63 shop supplements, then steering, factory drawings and and service.all info is available there.sorry I didn't think to tell you earlier.:bang:doh:dunno

Last edited: