Auto funnies

bobs409

Administrator
f1e28e7df4193b1c2763f6ea03718f5f.jpg

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Ever hear a sidewall blow out of one of these? I know a guy.....
When I first went to work for the City of Los Angeles, we still had trucks with split rims, the kind with the big snap ring that held the tire and the tube on.At 80 PSI, they were quite dangerous. We had a special training class on those nasty things, and one film showed a guy putting air in one of those wheels with it laying flat on the ground. All of sudden, a loud bang ensued, the snap ring and the guy both flew some 25 or so feet in the air, the tire and tube went their ways, and fortunately it was a staged event utilizing a mannequin. Fortunately, those are all long gone.I believe they were outlawed some time ago. One time, I was heading home on the freeway, and saw one of those snap rings leaning against the center divider sound wall, a little later was a pile of black inner tube fragments, then about a mile later was the tire, leaning against the divider. Must have been a real Kodak moment when that happened! They were real common on farm implements at one time. The couple on the tractor reminded me of that. Can't decide which would be worse- the tractor falling on me. or her!!

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I first went to work for the City of Los Angeles, we still had trucks with split rims, the kind with the big snap ring that held the tire and the tube on.At 80 PSI, they were quite dangerous. We had a special training class on those nasty things, and one film showed a guy putting air in one of those wheels with it laying flat on the ground. All of sudden, a loud bang ensued, the snap ring and the guy both flew some 25 or so feet in the air, the tire and tube went their ways, and fortunately it was a staged event utilizing a mannequin. Fortunately, those are all long gone.I believe they were outlawed some time ago. One time, I was heading home on the freeway, and saw one of those snap rings leaning against the center divider sound wall, a little later was a pile of black inner tube fragments, then about a mile later was the tire, leaning against the divider. Must have been a real Kodak moment when that happened! They were real common on farm implements at one time. The couple on the tractor reminded me of that. Can't decide which would be worse- the tractor falling on me. or her!!

We had a cage that we were required to put them in and used a 'click on' chuck to fill them so no appendages were inside or around the tire. Still can remember a few circles in the ceiling from those coming unpuckered although I never personally saw it.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Operator error not mechanical malfunction caused many injuries and deaths with those rims. I inflated many of them without a problem. You needed to make sure they were properly seated before the pressure got very high. If a tire got very low on a vehicle you needed to take it off and make sure the ring was properly seated instead of just inflating. The cages saved many lives for sure.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
There were several types of split rim wheels. Chevy had one from the late 50's to mid 60's that my dad called man-killers, they were 2 piece but went together almost in the center. He said if you ever ran them flat they would wear and not hold as well. My 65 C-80 has a 3 piece wheel, the main part, the ring and a smaller locking ring, they're much safer.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
There were several types of split rim wheels. Chevy had one from the late 50's to mid 60's that my dad called man-killers, they were 2 piece but went together almost in the center. He said if you ever ran them flat they would wear and not hold as well. My 65 C-80 has a 3 piece wheel, the main part, the ring and a smaller locking ring, they're much safer.
I have a 58 truck that still has those wheels that split in the middle made by Firestone. Around here they called them "widow makers". No one will touch them anymore.