Auto to manual conversion

Have 59 Biscayne that was factory auto wanting to convert to a 4 speed. Is there any links that would detail what parts would be needed to complete this. I know the clutch brake pedal assembly from a manual car will swap out but how about the clutch pivots linkage etc. I am putting a 454 with a muncie m20 4 speed in the car. The 454 is a gen 4 and the muncie is from a 66 chevelle. Thanks for any input.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome from another Iowa member :)

Having converted from Automatic to stick a number of 61 and 62 Chevys and worked on 63/64 stick cars I offer the following:
  • I have Muncies in my 62's and they fit just like the original borg warner 4 speeds(that are original to your 59) -they just require a different shifter (I suggest a Hurst competion plus shifter designed to fit a 59 Chevy and your year muncie(thats what I did for my 62's) - you can even use/buy a bolt on handle & 4 speed shifter knob for the hurst shifter and your car/shifter will look like an original factory 4 speed car
  • The bell housing used aluminum or cast iron will work with your 454 just make sure the clutch fork for the bell housing fits the 59 clutch linkage(see comments below) I use cast iron bell housing to make the clutch items fit better and they are original to your 59 Chevy.
  • Here is a stock 58/59 cast iron bell housing : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-1959-C...ash=item236419e0dc:g:Y-YAAOSwr7ZW2NbZ&vxp=mtr --- I would not use this one with the damage but this is what I am referring to for using a cast bell housing.
  • You can also use 552 cast original bell housings -the only difference is the clutch fork opening (this link is way to expensive----- you can buy them for under $100----- : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1962-C...m56961227c4:m:m-28Ya9N3-QDN_X2AUC_Yzg&vxp=mtr
  • You can use a aluminum bell housing -just make sure the clutch fork fits the threaded lower rod.
  • Use all the original clutch components off original 1959 Chevys to make sure they will fit your car(do not mix years of clutch items or you could cause problems with adjustment or operation).
  • Using 59 Chevy clutch items(I note that 1960 items fit 59's) the only issue with your 454 is the exhaust manifolds or headers to fit your clutch linkage.
  • Here is a drawing from Show Cars showing the 1959 & 1960 linkage:
  • listed below are the items from that drawing: http://www.show-cars.com/store/media/wysiwyg/59-clutch-assembly.jpg
  • note that 1959 has some parts that are different than 1960.
  1. A set of 1959 only clutch and brake pedals (so they fit your dash correctly and fit the linkage through the firewall) - I noted that another member here had the 1959 clutch and brake pedals -its easier to use the full set with the under dash brace vs changing out the pedals -the pedals/brace "have the pull back spring on them" (vs a 62-64 set that has the pull back spring under the hood)
  2. 59 upper clutch rod from clutch pedal to Z bar(also called cross shaft)
  3. 1959 only Z -bar cross shaft from frame to block
  4. Z bar mounting kit with plastic sleeves, 2 swivel balls -one on engine one to frame bracket
  5. Frame weld on bracket for 1959 chevy (listed for years - 58 & 59 Chevy's frame bracket)
  6. find another "stick" 59 chevy and measure the mounting location for the welding on the Z bar frame bracket or mount the engine in the car and mock up the Z bar and weld the suppor bracket to the frame to fit - I have a drawing/measurements for 62 Chevy z bar support that should be correct for 60-64 to weld the bracket to the frame
  7. Lower threaded rod with a threaded pin or a pin with hex nuts on both sides(I have used these on my 62's in lieu of the lower push rod normally used on 62/63. Threaded lower rods where used on 58 to 61 Chevys
  8. A pin to fit into the clutch fork for the threaded rod in #7
  9. Select a clutch fork to use on your car -this selection is important since you need a fork with a slot in it to fit the adjustable/threaded lower rod - Your clutch adjustment is all included in the lower rod so the clutch fork must fit the threaded rod(most later model aluminum bell housings have the wrong clutch fork for a threaded lower adjustable rod)
  10. There are 2 pull back springs (just to hold the upper and lower rods in place) These have to be purchased new (my recommendation ) since they are very, very hard to find used --as is any of the linkage from the lack of cars that are stripped of their parts for stick conversions (and the need to make sure you have the right year parts -again to not mix the clutch parts)
  11. You will need to decide what to do with your automatic steering column vs a 4 speed column -there are options such has a factory 4 speed column or convert your column to a 4 speed column or just remove the automatic indicator and the under hood linkage and leave it as is.
  12. You will need a rubber seal under the hood on the firewall that fits around the steering column and covers upper the clutch clutch rod linkage and a four speed boot for the 4 speed shifter to floor pan. I am not sure if 59's had a factory 4 speed cover(I had a 59 Chevy convertible with a tri power 315 HP and a 4 speed but I don't know if it had a floor cover for the shifter and the shift boot).
  13. There may be a plastic cover on your 59 (all 61 to 64s have them) just below the steering column on the inside of the firewall that has to be changed to have a hole in it for the upper clutch rod.
Paul

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A couple of years ago when I asked about effort vs reward on doing this conversion, specifically for 59, I came away with the impression the parts gathering wasn't worth the effort. Granted, my goal is likely different than yours, I want a fast comfortable cruiser.

If you're dead set on the conversion, I won't sway you and don't intend on it. Rather, just trying to point out there may be easier paths to follow.
Either way, good luck on your build and have fun!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Driving a 4 speed is where its at with classic cars :D :burnout

For the conversion I have 4 complete sets of 61 & 62 clutch items to sell -so finding that parts that are necessary is fairly reasonable to for someone looking. The only item is a fair agreed to price for the parts prices have changed over the years as junk yards and cars disappear.

For the 59 clutch parts I could find and purchase them within a week, minus the clutch and brake pedals which he has already found. Most would be new but they are out there and reasonably easy to find. I have been collecting 60's 4 speed conversion parts for years.

Paul

Paul if you want to contact me I would love to chat with you about the parts you have and maybe pick your brain a bit on this conversion. Thanks, Tim

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
yes sure, call me tomorrow on my cell phone -712-223-1962
When would you want to call ? I am about 95 % retired.
Or I can call you a time that you are available - I have free long distance.

I am getting two packages to ready to ship tomorrow

Paul Stensland

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
look for a 59 3 on the tree car, 6 cylinder will likely work (they just have a bracket that holds the ball on the block side of the Zbar), lots of them sold new so should be some around, get everything Paul lists from the over center spring under the dash, pedals, rod through the firewall, zbar bracket on frame, zbar, lower rods, lower springs, and clutch fork if there. I wouldn't be surprised if the setup from a 60 was the same, but I have no experience with a 60, I assume the hole in the firewall for the clutch to zbar rod is the same 59, 60. If that hole is the same, but something else is different, like say clutch pedal, take everything from the 60 and it should work together, it is just geometry.

I like the cast iron bell housings with the starter mount, you never have to worry about starter alignment, but you have to use a 168 tooth flywheel. If you are using a 168 tooth and want an aluminum BH, you need the BH with a bump on the bottom. Not sure what does or does not work with a BB, bell housing wise.

The rubber seal on the firewall and the plastic rubber inside- the automatic ones might have a round spot that you can remove for the clutch rod to go through.

The 59 had no metal plate on the hump for mounting the shifter, I'd recommend you use the one for a 60, it really helps line things up for the shifter boot.

I had a 283 PG and switched to a 4 speed. They ran exactly the same setup with the 409 in the 59, no issues at all. I got a complete setup from a guy who was switching his 59 from a 4 speed to a T350, I got lucky.

Good luck with your conversion, well worth it. I'm still not old enough to drive an automatic.:cool::D
Don

4242.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a drawing (with numerous measurements) I made for the Z bar frame bracket for welding it to the frame.
Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
but locating exactly on the frame where it needs to be welded...

I have just lined it up by eye. It should be 90 degrees to the block and the zbar should be level with the frame. You want all the pressure points to be straight/square for "load" for the zbar and the upper and lower rods.

I used a set of welding type vise grips to line up the bracket in the correct place place before welding it in place. Did this successfully on the 59, 62, and 63 and with a Hurst shifter, they shift as good as a new car.

Driving a 4 speed is where its at with classic cars :D :burnout

For the conversion I have 4 complete sets of 61 & 62 clutch items to sell -so finding that parts that are necessary is fairly reasonable to for someone looking. The only item is a fair agreed to price for the parts prices have changed over the years as junk yards and cars disappear.

For the 59 clutch parts I could find and purchase them within a week, minus the clutch and brake pedals which he has already found. Most would be new but they are out there and reasonably easy to find. I have been collecting 60's 4 speed conversion parts for years.

Paul
Hi Paul, I sent you a PM regarding the 61 clutch parts, would love to get a set from you for my 61 Biscayne 2 dr.