Automotive Parts Icon JC Whitney Nameplate Fades Into The Night

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
That’s kind of sad I can remember being a kid in high school and one of the guys who was already a gearhead years before I even got interested in them was building a 67 Chevy two and he built a 327 small block for it and he had ordered his pistons from JC Whitney and in the catalog they didn’t list brand name so when his pistons came I believe they were TRW and at the time that was a very well-known piston they were forged......But even in high school he could afford to build a motor because JC Whitney parts were inexpensive but quality

Junky

Well Known Member
I bought a lot of parts from them in the 1960's, and many times, you couldn't find the part anywhere else. I remember buying a clear plastic distributor cap for my '64 Impala. Just one of the many parts and tools that I purchased through the years. Strange how one or two items stand out in your memory.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
That's too bad.:doh I guess we thought, they'd be around forever.:dunno I remember, when they passed out catalogs like Vitamin's.:teehee I remember, in the early 2000's, I had a Car catalog, Bike catalog and a Off Road catalog. Every catalog had a warning on it. This could be your last catalog, unless your purchase something.:roll Then, next month, they would send another.:roll Finally, they did stop. R.I.P- J.C. Whitney.:cry1

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Went to Warshawski’s Chicago store many many times

I remember going to Warshawsky's when I was a kid with my Dad the store was a city block long and I had those OLD wood creaky floors. They would take your order and it always seemed to take FOREVER to get it pulled and brought up. But every odd ball, add on, doo-dad they had. Back in the 70's there were lots of curb feelers, static strips and boomerang shaped trunk mounted tv antennaes attached to every land barge rolling down the road.

We would always head over to Maxwell Street for a polish after leaving there.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I remember going to Warshawsky's when I was a kid with my Dad the store was a city block long and I had those OLD wood creaky floors. They would take your order and it always seemed to take FOREVER to get it pulled and brought up. But every odd ball, add on, doo-dad they had. Back in the 70's there were lots of curb feelers, static strips and boomerang shaped trunk mounted tv antennaes attached to every land barge rolling down the road.

We would always head over to Maxwell Street for a polish after leaving there.

Cool memory