Average machine shop time line

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What wait times are you guys usually encountering with your machine shops? I had a 409 block at mine that I dropped off in February and got it back in August but granted they did a lot of work to it but I have had a crank there now since June for a turn job and they are still saying soon! Is this normal? Machine shops around me are getting scarce so I know he's busy. I'm about to go get it back and take it somewhere else.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you lay cash down when you drop your parts off it helps motivate them so your timeline could be instantly. I have never had a rush order personally but my work place has had less than a week turn around on many projects. They simply have more money to spend to hurry it along.

El Rat

Well Known Member
I think a month is about right. When I last had work done I checked on my stuff every week and paid on the bill about 1K per week.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In my area it seems to be a week to a month for machine shop work depending on the season. When I sent my 380 out it was about 7 months due to having to wait for parts. The Program 4 bolt caps took the longest to get and valve springs took a long time too plus the custom pistons all added time.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I am going to go pick up my crank and take it somewhere else. These guys are ding dongs anyway as they put 4 pistons on backwards and decked my block so I asked how much they took off the top and their reply was idk!! Mine was wtf

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It's too bad they are looking my business as I'm about to build 2 348's and another 396!! Their loss

I hate to sound like a grumpy old bastard, but most people out there any more don't give a crap. They have plenty of business and don't care. There are a few quality shops out there today, just be careful. You know the drill, it seems.

tenxal

Well Known Member
I think I am going to go pick up my crank and take it somewhere else. These guys are ding dongs anyway as they put 4 pistons on backwards and decked my block so I asked how much they took off the top and their reply was idk!! Mine was wtf

Pick up your stuff and run, don't walk, as fast as you can from there.

Like Dave said, lot's of good shops out there...no need to deal with rubes or rudeness.