Axle Nuts

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Chris's dad gave me these the other day. He thought he remembered using them on his 46 Ford, maybe something for removing a axle.
Any of you guys have a clue what they may be for? They are 1 inch 7/8 and 5/8 thread.

Thanks James.
20201030_190427.jpg
20201030_185632.jpg
Looks like they are designed to be hit with a big hammer.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have one of those pullers also, I was wondering if this was some flat rate trick tool that you could thread on the end of the axle and give it a big smack and it would jar the drum loose. :dunno2

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Bring your golf clubs, fish pole, and I'll supply the beer. Celebration starts Wednesday. Golf tomorrow at 10.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I have one of those pullers also, I was wondering if this was some flat rate trick tool that you could thread on the end of the axle and give it a big smack and it would jar the drum loose. :dunno2
There was. It consisted of a threaded large closed end nut that screwed onto the end of the axle after the nut was removed, then a cage that bolted over it using the wheel studs to secure it, then a tapered wedge went in through slots in the sides of the cage, then a good dose of a big hammer on the head of the wedge forced the hub off. I remember early '60's Dodges and Plymouths had a removable hub like that, but I bet that setup didn't like the Max Wedge a bit.AMC's still had that setup in the '70's.