AZ Auction notes

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm stuck inside today cause it's friggin' freezin' and blowing like crazy up here in the Rockies today so I thought I'd share some January auction 409 sales stuff. I came home on Tuesday with an empty trailer after rolling the '63 Belair though the Russo and Steele auction last week in Scottsdate. While I don't think auction results are necessarily a great bench mark for values, they do have some impact, but what it really boils down to is 2 people who want that car, at that time, and what they willing to pay for to get it, (plus buyers fee of course). Had there been 2 of us "W" knuckle heads bidding, appreciating the attention to the detail to our particular obsessiveness, the results may have been quite different, which is what my restoration was about. Now I assume those interested in the car gave it a good looksy over before bidding (that I didn't see), but what I found interesting that while I was in the car, in staging, not one person inquired about any details of the build. Now, I would have to assume, if it was any one of us knuckle heads, we be wanting ever detail possible, at least I would, right down to the numbers. My '63 Belair hammered sold at $27,500 on Thursday night. Thinking possible Thursday was not a great night for the auction, I went back Friday night and a '64 Biscayne hammered for $27,500 :wacko. One hour after the '64 a '62 Biscayne hammered @ $34,000, (not totally sure but close). At Barrett-Jackson, a real nice '64 Super Sport 425 hp sold for $30,000. They were all pretty much equal quality cars, except for authenticity (from a knuckle heads point of view). The '62 Bicayne did claim to have a QB engine, (not original), and was dressed up like a '63-'64 425 hp engine :dunno....and that's is my point on authenticity..........:winner Attached is a poster I made up for the auction that I thought some of you might be interested in.

Attachments

• '63 Bella Poster.JPG
    '63 Bella Poster.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 59

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Cecil...yes I was hoping to bump into you or some o9er influential and start putting some faces to the conversations.

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm a Pontiac guy mostly but like and watch 409s and max wedge mopars too. ALL of the early to mid 60s stuff is coming down because the guys who like them are passing away and selling off before they go, if they can. I've been into '61 Venturas for decades and the peak for them was ?? late ninetys-2012 perhaps, and in the last few years they and '61 Catalinas have really dropped. Just the way it is. I'm keep trying to finish this '63 Catalina 421SD clone car and when it's done I will never, ever, get my $$ back. Don't care really because I like the car, but a shame. I want a 409 and this dropping prices thing will be good for that, for me, but not for whomever I buy it from.

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Within the past two years two '61 Ventura bubbletops sold for the low to mid twenties; one in the Cleveland Oh area and one in Houston. Not show but nice drivers with nice original interiors. A person could have bought one of those cars and put a 4 speed and tripower setup on it and had ?? $30k in it. One had 8 lugs already on it I think. Not too long ago those were ?? $35-50k cars as they were sold.