B-17 Crash

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Read about this today, what a shame, must have been pretty serious those planes got the $hit shot out of them in WW2 and still made it back to base. Years ago I was working at Portlands airport we watched a B17 take off it came back a few minutes later with 1 engine on fire it landed safely with a modern fire truck on his tail this one turned out OK :bow:bow:bow

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'd like to hear from Cecil on this. He's a pilot, I do believe. Has airplanes. This is a vintage/old WW2 aircraft. I love looking at these things, but are they really safe to fly?? Take people in?? I suppose they are inspected yearly by the FAA. Regardless, 7 lives were lost. Thoughts and prayers go out to those surviving families, Carmine.

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
"Nine O Nine" was here at our airport a month ago. I used to have phone conversations with a gunner on the original plane. I was given a ride on a B-25 "Pancheto" the other year. As it was coughing and backfireing on the taxie way, I thought the same question, if it was safe to fly in? I settled back and said to my self, " if it doesn't make it - what a way to go". Rest in peace to the crew and passengers. A real tragedy!