b uilding 348

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
I read lots about building the 409, what I have is a 348. I have been advised to find a 409 truck block to start with, but all so far are over priced. I am not after every last h/p. What have you done? With compression, cam chose, which heads, and what h/p did you make. I am putting this in a vintage dragsgter with 6x2's so must use small intake heads.thanks for your input or direction to other threads.. Nut cracker

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
As you no doubt have determined, the cost to acquire 348 components is less than their 409 counterparts :). That can be a motivating factor in deciding which to build. But keep in mind that the cost to build (which can add up, just ask anyone!) is the same. In the end you had two completely different products and market places. A built 409 commands a different value than a built 348.

Not to be crass, but it's a bit like a water heater in a house. The cost of that heater is the same regardless of whether you live in a $40,000 home or a $400,000 home. Although these "W engines" are a bit more expensive than a real water heater :).

So the question becomes "What am I willing to spend to get that look and that performance"? Then add a thousand dollars... (or more depending on how you make decisions).

Good luck!

TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
It might be helpful in determining cost if you were to examine some of the detailed cost sheets others have provided for their specific builds. A lot of that is for components, but good machine shop experience can get pricey :).

I used to think one can build an inexpensive truck-based 409 engine for less than $4K (I couldn't pull it off!). The basis would be a truck block with 333 heads, an OK intake/carb setup, standard crank, new rods and pistons, etc.

Now I am thinking one can build an inexpensive truck-based 348 for less than $2K. Pretty sure I'm gonna find out otherwise :)

Just think about the cost to "rehabilitate" that 6x2 set up you have: $30 per carb for the kits, $200 for linkage, $xxx for fuel delivery, etc. If you paid a professional to restore those carbs and intake you'd be getting close to the cost to build my "budget 348" :) :) :).

Good luck in your decision making, let us know if you need any details.

Best,
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The last 3 machine shop bills I have paid for block and head prep was $1,500 each. That is for machine work -- no parts. That is what I am willing to pay for top notch machinist. Can be done cheaper but bad machine work means a broken engine. Just food for thought.