Back in my day as a kid

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
When I was a kid, I was forced to take the dinosaur out to poop after he ate his dinner every night. Sure didn't miss him when the great freeze came and he kicked the bucket. What a relief it was not to have to walk him every night. Mom made me a very warm coat out of his hide, but it had a gammy smell to it. After a couple of months, it dissipated and the skin softened a lot. Back then we lived in a cave, and now, 2 million years later, I live in a house with heat and running water. Sure is a change from the old days........

noah.jpg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Broke 700 windows out of the junior high school, threw large bags of leaves in front doors of fraternity brothers house and watch them come out like cockroaches and out ran all of them. Remember I was young! Road motorcycles as a young teen all over northern part of state with no license. Would get dropped off 25 miles up river and float in tubes all day to pick up spot. I don’t think parents would let their kids do that nowadays. Never had a boring day in my life, but I’m not A boring person either.
Play baseball five nights a week. Rode bicycles hundreds of miles every week. Typical hooligan juvenile Activities... then grew up. Was mad at the world as a youngin due to dad getting killed in construction accident.

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I was a city kid. We did all the things kids do. :applBut summers, in the city were too hot. Always looked forward, to going to my Aunt and Grandparents house, in the country. :clap My cousin married a Dairy Farmer. Spent many hours, doing farm work. It took awhile, but got used to the smell.:doh:rolleyes

Junky

Well Known Member
Broke 700 windows out of the junior high school, through large bags of leaves in front doors of fraternity brothers house and watch them come out like cockroaches and out ran all of them. Remember I was young! Road motorcycles as a young teen all over northern part of state with no license. Would get dropped off 25 miles up river and float in tubes all day to pick up spot. I don’t think parents would let their kids do that nowadays. Never had a boring day in my life, but I’m not A boring person either.
Play baseball five nights a week. Rode bicycles hundreds of miles every week. Typical hooligan juvenile Activities...

Good thing that you could run fast, otherwise your name would be toothless :D

Thunder80

The same here. Growing up walked to school, rode my bike all over. We almost never locked our house, leave the keys in the car. Such a change. Camped out with friends, roll out the sleeping bad anywhere. Dinner was at 6 P.N. had the evening news on. Summertime the sun didn't go down till 9 P.M. play ball till we could not see the ball. The good old days, when kids knew how to play and get along - any color, any age.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Same here. Growing up walked to school, rode my bike all over. We never locked our house the front door was always open and anyone could just walk in the screen door, Windows down and the keys in the car. Camped out with friends bomb fire sleep on the dirt with some kind of cover or sleeping bag . Dinner was at 5 P.M. The evening news on after dinner went back out too play more Mom would call out it's time too come in and take a bath and we would ask can we stay out a little longer. Those were the good ole days.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pretty much the same with me, have to add picking up pop bottles all over town. I grew up in north Missouri and we did all the winter stuff too, great hills for sled riding, ponds and lakes for ice skating. Made a little money with my snow shovel. Got a pair of skates one christmas as I was opening the box I realized we were in the midst of a rare ice storm. I put on my new skates and skated on the streets and sidewalks. Instead of going around close to home I went in a pretty much straight line and went uptown to empty streets and stores. Would pull myself along from one parking meter to the next. Got so tired that I wished I had brought some street shoes. Sure got tired of snow I think it snowed more back then. Ran Schwans routes for 4 winters then moved to NC.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I forgot to mention the paper drives. I used to go to all of the neighbor's houses a couple of times a year with my wagon to collect all of their old newspapers that they saved for me, then tied them up in neat stacks with string and get my Dad to take me down to the recycling center for some spending money.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don’t know where to put this, but part of my nostalgia includes a good pork tenderloin sandwich. Restaurants dont offer them outside of the Midwest. My brother in KC usually sends me a pic of one from one of the local joints.

Attachments

• BDF5222B-C07E-4E9F-8A8C-897AF58169B2.jpeg
    BDF5222B-C07E-4E9F-8A8C-897AF58169B2.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 23

Thunder80

At one time there was a place in Des Moines, Douglas Ave -- " Porkys " Friday and Sat night bring your car, local show. They had great " Tenderloin's ". I took my 58 Yeoman - 2dr wagon down. I met a guy that had a 58 Chev conv, -same color, Yes his was a 6 / auto. His was all originak, looked great sitting side by side, the cheap wagon and the high dollar Impala. Both were Cashmere Blue. Like a baby blue. This guy told me Chev made about 300 impalas with 6 cyl in them. I am looking, Thanks for the talk about good food.