Backspace Question? New Here!

marv

I just have a question that maybe someone could help me with. I have a 60 Bel Air that I would like to put some new wheels on. Currently I have the 14' wheels on the car with the stock size tires. I would like to put some Cragar SS on or some Torque Thrust. I would like to put some larger wheels and tires on the car but don't know what the backspace would be. Kinda new to this stuff.:dunno I really need to know before I go ordering and they don't fit. I'm looking for a more agressive stance with maybe a 15x8 in front and 15x10 in rear. Would this look good or should I do a 15x7 in front and 15x8 rear? The biggest problem I need to know is the backspacing for the wheels so I don't rub anywhere,want to make sure they fit ok. What is everybody running for the look I'm looking for. Any info and pics would really be appreciated. Want to order this week. thanks a ton!:cheers

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
marv,,if your rear end is like a 59 the the biggest rims we can get in are
8.5 x 15 with a 3 3/4 set bact with stock pipes, these rimes are common.
i was told a 10x15 with 4.00 set back would work:dunno but had to move pipes. we tryed 275 -55 on the 8.5 rimes no go so we put 255 -60 on.
the front rims you need to be careful because of the tie rod ends. i have 3 3/4set back and l'm 1/4 from the tie rods. of course there are lots of sizes but you said 15's
hope this helps.

marv

One guy told me 4 1/2 back space for 15x7 in front and 15x8 in back is that right , that seems like alot. Plus I can't seem to find any wheels by Cragar with 15x7 and 15x8 with a 4 1/2 in. backsapce. With the 4 1/2 in. backspace the wheels get huge. Maybe it's not 4 1/2 in maybe its less. I dunno, just trying to get the right backspace before I order. Thought someone here might know the right size and backspace to get for sure.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think that the American 15x8/8.5 and 15x7`s with 3 3/4 back spacing would look great and are by far the easiest to find!

American`s can be found in a 15x9 but are rare and very hard to find. ,,dq

marv

dq409 said:
I think that the American 15x8/8.5 and 15x7`s with 3 3/4 back spacing would look great and are by far the easiest to find!

American`s can be found in a 15x9 but are rare and very hard to find. ,,dq

Is the 3 3/4 ok ? Is that backspace fine for all front and rear?:dunno

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
marv said:
Is the 3 3/4 ok ? Is that backspace fine for all front and rear?:dunno

It is on the 61-64 cars.
I`d wait until fatride, the guru for 59-60`s, returns from Clay City to get accurate info on those years,,

We here are just holding the fort down untill the troops come home,,,,dq

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
marv,,,,,, like i said if the 60 are like 59 which i do, then the 3 3/4 set backl will work on the front and rear. i got this info from the guys here and it works for me. good luck.

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm runnin torq-thrust D's on my 60, 15x10 in rear, 8's up front.....Rears required relocating exhaust to front of wheel well and I also narrowed rear about 1 3/4 inches on each side,......love the look ,hell of alot of work, but I had the rims and they carry a long family history... upfront wheels seem fine but I also am using discs with dropped spindles,,,America tire store will test fit any combo they stock for fitment before purchase, that's how I found out I needed to narrow rear to make mine work

Tim

marv

It seems that everyone is telling me I should be ok to go with the 15x7 in front and 15x8 in the rear. All on 3 3/4 backspace. I sure hope so I'm putting my order in on Wendsday! If this is wrong please stop me!!!:bang

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Marv, I've got 3 3/4" backspacing front and rear on my 62 and they fit perfectly. I know it's a different model year but I "think" that spacing will probably work on a 60 too.:dunno I also think 7's up front and 8's in the rear would look good.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Mine are 15 x 8 with 4" backspace using stock corvette rally rims. With N50's I have 1.5 or so on the back side and 2+ inches on the outside.
Changing to 10" stock rallys with 3.5 backspacing soon. This should center the tire more making about 1 3/4 inside and outside for room.
Either way there is NO room with my tires to put the pipe out to the rear through the wheel well area. Mine run's 3" dropped to 2.5 after the muffler and pop out just in front of the rear wheels.

All on a 1960 BelAir :)

The front are 15 x 6 as well.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ive seen this topic before about not being able to exit the pipes out the back with wider rims and tires tires.

I think it is bunk unless your car has a mushy suspension.

I`ve look carfully at my pipes going over the diff and believe that you could slide them inward below the frame and not have a problem.
Close ,,,,, but not a problem.

When I find a set of 15X81/2 or 9" rims to mount my slicks on that is exactly what I`m going to do with my pipes.

Could be wrong,,, but only been wrong twice before !!!:D

But thats OK,,, divorced them both !!!!:roll ,,dq

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
LOL I have only been wrong once:) And I raised the accident for 18 years on my own.

I may try again after I get other parts done on the car. Right now I have stripped and primed sealed the entire dash and trim to get ready for paint.
Peeler has become a close friend of mine!