Backwards turn signals,

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Has anybody had a car that when you turn on the right signal the left come on and when you turn the left the right come on and my rear running lights are stuck on when switch is off? This is all on my 65 convertible that I just put together and the harnesses are uncut. Could a ground issue cause this? Usually for me nothing comes on but being stuck on wtf?

Attachments

• 20160717_111749.jpg
    20160717_111749.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 18
  • 20160717_111749.jpg
    20160717_111749.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 16

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
There is a flat wire harness that goes to the rear that has a flat plug close to the fuse panel could it be plugged in 180 out???

bobs409

Administrator
Another thing not too common but make sure the correct bulbs are installed and correctly. I got a car once that had something like an 1156 jammed in place of an 1157 so it was contacting both terminals. A few crazy things like that can make you pull your hair out!

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So here is what's up, the complete wire harness came from a two door hardtop and everything worked before so I'm baffled. The only thing different is the steering column but with the signals on the green turn light on the dash is correct but back lights are backwards and rear running lights are stuck on even with headlight switch unplugged. Question does anybody know what the difference is from a hardtop to a convertible rear body lamp harness as classic industries lists 2 different part numbers for them? Also I reversed the 2 wires in the plug so turn signals are correct now but I don't like doing that and the running lights are still on in the rear.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
...Question does anybody know what the difference is from a hardtop to a convertible rear body lamp harness as classic industries lists 2 different part numbers for them? Also I reversed the 2 wires in the plug so turn signals are correct now but I don't like doing that and the running lights are still on in the rear.

The lighting circuits should be the same. The difference is likely due to the wiring for the power top pump motor.

Time to start tracing wires. Since the harness is not original to the car, you may have crossed something during your installation or there may be a fault in it that wasn't present when it was in the hardtop - damaged wires, poor connections, etc. Is this a new aftermarket harness or an original one from 1965?