BAD NEWS

iaco59

Well Known Member
Or at least for me. Blew up the engine in my 59 today. Went to the car show yesterday and it ran fine. today i did some work on the fuel gauge an took it around the block to make sure it was working ok and half way around at about 40 MPH BANG. Oil and antifreeze all over the road??????? What the hell!..3670 miles on the rebuild.Was changing oil On monday. The positive,I save a100 bucks, negatives I dont know what the hell its going to cost???????. Not sure what to do!!

El Rat

Well Known Member
A bang and anti freeze + oil generally means a rod broke but maybe not. I have a 45 year history with that sound. I’m an equal opportunity “ka-banger”

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Feel sorry for you, tear down will tell the tale.

Unlike El Rat, I have only ever dropped a rod once, 401 Nailhead, I was doing 80MPH at the time, and I lost power, no noise, no smoke, I actually thought I ran out of fuel, even hailed another car down and got a ride 20 miles to get some fuel and back, the guy I hailed down was a super guy and gave me a lift back, still wouldn't start then when I popped the hood number 7 rod was hanging out the block, the 64 Buick Electra had some great sound deadening/proofing.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mate, doesn't sound good at. As hard as it will be, but i hope you sure your findings once known.

Gav

iaco59

Well Known Member
Phill ,tell me a little about your engine. I havent had a response on my Q yet , may be you know. will my heads work on a 3732811 block