BAD NEWS

iaco59

Well Known Member
I think 256 wont know for sure untill i pull valve cover. but a little about them. Intake was milled to 2.06,exhaust to 1 .72 3/8 stems ported and port match . they might be 379. just have a lot of work and expense in them if there not usable

iaco59

Well Known Member
If I remember right , there was some discussion about drilling a 811 block to allow water cooling to the heads. The reason for all the questions is i found a 811 .040, cam and bearings installed ,.040 pistons and rods freeze plugs ,magnifluxed. no heads,crank.oil pan water pump ect.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 379's can be used on that block only if you plug the spark plug cooling holes in the decks of the cyl.heads.:reading

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Tap and plug those small holes[the ones that go to the spark plug.The head cooling will not be affected.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
My 1960 has the cooling holes in the block and heads
It's complete with carb and intake and exhaust manifolds. I know it has oil in the crankcase because when I lifted it out of my truck, oil ran all over the garage floor!!!
I don't sell an engine until I pull the heads off and the oil pan to inspect it. The price range is $850 to $950 depending on the internal condition.

iaco59

Well Known Member
What does that mean???? will my heads, cam ect.{ salvageable parts} work on the 811 or is it best to look for the right stuff? .Phill got one and a couple guys here has one. each will require a start from the beginning. hot bath bore ect. not a big deal but the 811 has already been done.But i would have to use some of my parts and buy the rest!!! trying to decide which way to go

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Get the broken motor apart first,then you can decide what's salvageable and what isn't.If it did break a rod,I've seen the cam damaged or even broken more often than not.I wouldn't recommend using stock rods and or cast pistons on the replacement engine if you want it to both run and last.Going for cheap on a W motor rarely ends well.