balancer

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey guys; I'm putting together my 348 strokerand thinking of usinga 8 " small block balancer. I know I would have to modify a pointer. Has anyone used an 8 " balancer with success? Thanks Tim

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Summit offers a 6 3/4 inch for external balance engines.. It is a quality, degreed, SFI approved balancer that is $100 cheaper than the major brands. That would be for the 454 crank. If you use the 396-427 crank then ofcourse there are many 6 3/4 to 7 in. internal balance units available.

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Ronnie, I'm using a 427 crank that will be internally balanced, so I guess i'll start shopping for a 6 3/4 . anyone have any experience with the one showcars sells with their pointer kit?

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
The secrets of a BALANCED diet!

walkerheaders said:
i would go the few extra bucks and get a FLUIDAMPER....

Bob W. is exactly right... Fluid Damper is THE ONE THAT YOU WANT! :brow

I have one on my '09 and I LOVE IT! :love

For the benefit of all who care about such things here is a perscription for what to buy and how it's done !

STEP 1: Grab your Summit Racing Equipment Catalog !

WHAT TO BUY: :deal

1. Street Damper, pn# FLU-670100, $198.95
2. Summit Pointer, pn# SUM-163700, $24.95

Also buy a high quality balancer installation tool, if you don't already have one.
NEVER IMPACT ON A BALANCER ! NEVER, EVER!!!!

Keep in mind that ANY balancer that you choose is an intergal part of the reciprocating assembly and should be dynamically balanced with the crank and flywheel (or flexplate). Alot of guys skip this step, but it is cheap insurance. To not do so is gambling and invites torsional vibration problems that can be a nightmare to resolve later. :eek:

This particular balancer WILL NOT leave you alot of room under your water pump, but it does fit! AND This balancer has proper degree markings and serrations engraved right on it so timing adjustment are a snap ! :cool:

WHAT TO DO: :scratch

1. Gently grind off the timing tab from the T/C cover and pitch it ! Let's get rid of this problem once and for all with: Was that add 10 degs??, or subtract 10 degs from the timing tab??? :stooges

You are also going to have to have that 427 crank snout turned down to SBC sizing if you haven't already had that done.

2. The pointer is fully adjustable and looks really sharp, but you have to modify it to make it work on a "W" motor. I've tried several iterations of these, but this slick Summit pointer worked out to be the best. You have to cut a 1/4" slot out of the bottom eyelette of the pointer body because the C-C distance between the two bolts that holds it to the T/C cover are little further appart on a "W" than they are on a small block. Cutting that 1/4" slot actually gives you the extra distance that you need and will align the centerline of the slot with the centerline of the bottom mounting bolt. Simply use a nice 1/4 in stainless flat washer to act as a clamp when attaching the bottom eyelette of the pointer to the T/C cover. The top eyelet is right where it needs to be, so use it!

3. Use a postive piston stop (There are several flavors of these) and bring #1 up to TDC. Once you've got it there, simply adjust the needle of the pointer to the "0" line on the balancer. BE CAREFULL with the needle, :eek: Summit sharpens these to a point SO FINE that I stabbed myself several times with that darned thing putting it on. :cuss

That it! Works great, looks great, and the needle will point to right where it needs to be pointing to!

The attached photo show this exact installation on my car Look closely at the balancer area, as I had to reduce the size of the original picture by 60% because of upload limitations.

Rock :cool:

Attachments

• SSengine09a.jpg
    SSengine09a.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 61

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fluiddampr # 670100

That part number isn't SFI rated for drag racing. That is the only thing I would caution some body on it. Good for street driving, though.

Fred