Ball Joints

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have taken my upper and lower control arms off and am refurbishing them. I find that the upper ball joints are original, still rivited in. Before I run to the parts house and get some, does anyone have any new info about the suspension that I should do? It seems that after I've spent money on something then I find out on here that I could have had something much better. Like headers, I hate the idea that I bought headers twice.

B

bowtieollie

Hi tripower,

Well, the upper ball joints rarely fail. The lower is the guy doing all the work.

Check for looseness, or up and down play. If none - you can save some money.

If you are replacing the lowers, I would recommend MOOG. They are made much better than some of the other's available.

Bushings? The urethane type are very durable - but must be greased with Dow Corning 111 Silicone Grease prior to installation - otherwise, they can really squeak.

Hope that helps....:)

B

bowtieollie

I have heard many positive things about the polygraphite bushings - but I would still recommend the application of the Dow Corning Silicone Grease.

Its a ton easier to accomplish when the bushings are apart . :D

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Bowtieollie, Moog it is. Say you need to show these guys your awesome 58 trailer.:D

B

bowtieollie

Ahhhhh, the awesome 58 trailer belongs to Jens (of Iowa).

My trailer is just a 28' white classic.

Good luck with the front end project. I am in the process of tearing down the front end in my '61. Not terrible - but I just love the "cleaning part".

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well I've finished the front end. It took me 2 whole days and 2 half days to take front end apart and CLEAN, what a job. Put new upper and lower control arm bushings and upper and lower ball joints in. I didn't need new upper ball joints in but I figured that since I was this far I might as well put all new. I always envied CPG, all kinds of W motor cars, old Chris Craft boat and he gets to make a living working on 348 and 409's. But after doing this front end I know that I would starve to death trying to do the same thing.:cheers

bobs409

Administrator
Roy, now that you have some practice, you could come to Pa. and do my '63! :D

I can draw up a contract. :deal (I just wanted to use this icon-I love that sneaky look on his face)

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Let's see I would need to bring my 20 ton press, air compressor, floor jack, air wrench and blast cabinet. No it would be easier if you came here with the car, besides we could go fishing when we got tired. :cool:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What kinda fish ????

Attachments

• resize of sturgkim.jpg
    resize of sturgkim.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 147

bobs409

Administrator
I've got everything but the 20 ton press! Sorry, don't like fishing. I guess I'll have to do the rebuild myself. :D

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well here we have bass, walleye, crappie, etc. Although they have alligator gar that are 6 to 8 feet long. You had better have a gun if you try to boat one though. Bob I wanted you to know that it pays to really tear into those old front ends and look at every fastener. I found a failed fastener on the lower control arm. I could see where it was working and on inspection found it was cracked. So it could have become a disaster latter on.

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
Tripowerguy,
I see you are at Table Rock. The family and I will be camping at the state park over Memorial weekend. May try to bring the 61 if possible. Im in STL. Are you near the park?
A question about control arm bushings. Is there a way to install control arm bushings w/out a press? Would it help to heat the arm around bushing hole ? And freeze bushing?
Thanks,
Pat

61 Impala Convertible 348 PG
67 Shelby GT350
79 Corvette

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well there are dozens of parks around here but I live close to Roaring River state park and if you are coming there I would love to meet a fellow W motorhead. I was going to try to change bushing without a press. I beat, used air hammer all to no avail. There is a tool place in Aurora, Mo that is kind of like Harbor Freight. I bought a 20 ton press for $117.00 and it made the job almost easy. I figure that if I had taken it to a shop to be done it would have cost me at least $600.00. With the press, bushing and ball joints I have $322.00 in the job. I now have a press that I'm sure will come in handy for other things. As for heating and freezing it might work, I just don't know if it can be done. Roy

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
Roy,
We will be at Table Rock State Park.
Have had bushings pressed out and in at shop. Think it was $12 per arm. Not too bad, just like doing things myself. Did the air hammer thing, and beat up the bushing pretty good. Will try heat and ffeeze method and let you know how it went.
Pat

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If it is the Table Rock Park by the dam and Branson Belle Paddle wheel boat then I'll sure come over and see you. We can tell lies to each other and other bench race stuff. Old stories get better with age. Roy:cheers