Ballast Resistor and Sun Tach question

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Was not able to localize the two pictures I wanted to highlight....but if the link below works,... click on one of any of the five thumbnails displayed first ...which opens to larger sampling of photos...

Look at the second row of pictures..6th and 7th picture to the right. Click on pics. Hope the directions were OK..sorry for the detour.:doh

A. Sun tach for 409 or 327? I'm not sure... but I thought tach face for 327 had rpm dial @7,000rpm with redline at ±5,800rpm ...and 409 had 8,000 to 8,500 rpm dial with ±6,000 - 6,200 rpm redline?? Don't know. Is there a serial/part number for the proper 409 Sun Tach? :dunno

B. Factory location for ballast resistor???...(just under and between wiper motor and master cylinder on firewall??) I've seen the ballast resistor attached at various firewall locations on different 409 cars. This car is reported to be a show car and restored to original. So is this the real McCoy??:scratch

RCE1962

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...oryZ6169QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#additionalPhotos

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
62 409

Everything looks as I remember it, but I'm not an expert on these. The one thing that does stand out to me, is WHY put a new style battery right up front where it stands out? The old style tar top battery is STILL available. With the yellow caps. Just like they were in 62.

Fred

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
62 Sun tach was 7000 rpm for both 327 and 409s except the 327 had a redline at about 5200 and the 409 had it arround 6000, just like one pictured on that beautiful, white 62 SS conv. on eBay!

A good source for Sun info is www.williamsons.com I bought an NOS Sun 7000 rpm no-redline tach for my old 61 SS from them several years ago. They converted it to solid state and it worked perfectly! They convert the senders to run without the mercury batteries, which are no longer available. They know their stuff!!!

Some options for 62 tachs...You can find an original 62 409 tach head and have it rebuilt. Those original units bring some big dollars. OR you can find a regular (no redline) 7000 rpm tach head (possibly an aftermarket tach head) and send it to williamsons, have them silk screen the 409 tach face on with the redline and you'll be in it for less $$$. You'll most likely want to restore the tach face anyway. You need an RC7 tach head and an EB9A sending unit. I believe that all EB9A senders are the same. Just e-mail williamsons and they'll help steer you in the right direction. Best of luck!!

Ross

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
here is the pic

Check it out for the redline.

Attachments

• 57_4.JPG
    57_4.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 75

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SS425HP said:
Everything looks as I remember it, but I'm not an expert on these. The one thing that does stand out to me, is WHY put a new style battery right up front where it stands out? The old style tar top battery is STILL available. With the yellow caps. Just like they were in 62.

Fred

Fred , you can even get a very realistic tar top battery COVER that fits over any proper sized battery or a gel battery.
The standard one has the lugs in a more correct spot.

They look really good !!! and reasonably priced.,,,dq
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=43215&dept_id=1201&cm_mmc=DataFeed*Froogle*na*43215