Bandsaw

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had got this craftsman bandsaw given to me a while back and finally got around to making it useable. Made a mount for the motor and got a pulley and grabbed an old belt off the wall and plugged it in. The blade came off right away looked it over and found the wheel on the tension end has a angled wedge under it and it was backwards so flipped it around and then the blade stayed on. Did a test cut and the blade stopped easily so made a tensioner with a unused spring from a different project. Also made a hydraulic downfeed control for it from a air cylinder and needle valve and installed a bolt to stop the head from going down too far and cutting into the bed. Not quite as an elaborate project as some of Bobs but I still ended up with a nice functional tool for cheap!IMG_1540.JPGIMG_1541.JPG

Last edited:

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I can get used to having one. Thinking about making some sort of sweeper for the blade to keep the chips from getting into the gears and still need to set up a switch for it but works good. Bob is right I had the perfect test project for it. I cut some 3/4 shaft to make an adapter for the steering wheel on my mower the original was all plastic now it has a wheel I won't ever break. It cut nice and straight and the blade is still sharp it had no trouble cutting. I had been avoiding the mower repair and was holding the original together with zip ties and hose clamps for over a year.IMG_1538.JPGIMG_1539.JPG

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like not paying people to do something for me when they rarely do it right. That is the reason I have done most things in my life. And many of the things I have paid others I regret. So I usually purchase the tools and either learn how to do it, or figure it out myself. I do regret getting rid of my valve grinding equipment , boring bar, and metal lather. Nice jobs.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like not paying people to do something for me when they rarely do it right. That is the reason I have done most things in my life. And many of the things I have paid others I regret. So I usually purchase the tools and either learn how to do it, or figure it out myself. I do regret getting rid of my valve grinding equipment , boring bar, and metal lather. Nice jobs.
This is exactly the same way I feel and i do like the challenge of learning new things. I do still have my valve grinding equipment but have been keeping that work limited to small engines and tractors so far.