barber john 409 ss impala

Z

Ziggy Zezula

there is a book out called extreme muscle cars and i thinks its the lightweight hot rod one anyway theres an article about the barber john Z/11 which is really a 1963 impala ss not a z/11 fyi :bang

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
there is a book out called extreme muscle cars and i thinks its the lightweight hot rod one anyway theres an article about the barber john Z/11 which is really a 1963 impala ss not a z/11 fyi :bang

we knew that but thanx. have you been close to the car? on the team? or in the area where it lived and was raced? got any cool stories to share?
thanx.

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Barber John

Bob, Barber John lived in LaPorte Ind. about 15 miles from my home town, Mishawaka. The Barber came to the Osceola Dragway many times and spanked my 63 Biscayne when ever he did. I believe he held the AHRA national record for A/S in 1964. After all these years I feel that it was an honor to race such a great competitor and his fine 409. At one time his car was displayed in the Don Gartlis museum. I don't know if it's still there but it sure is a piece of Chevy 409 history.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah, sure was a cool lookin' car. I used to see "The Barber" ( he actually was
a barber) at local car gatherings. I heard his family had the 63 lent out to Garlits.

Sure would like to see the car locally again ( LaPorte, IN ).

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i saw the car in march at garlits place, it's been there for a while. nice car, reminds me of mine.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Barber John was a local legend around Northwest Indiana. He also ran at US 30. His car and Rag-a -Muffin were among the fastest '09 cars around.H used to sneak an aluminum hood on the car to save weight.
I saw the car at Garltis' place years back, just after he died. He was a pretty good guy. Region Rat

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ziggy, Where you from Northwest Indiana? I remember a story of a black 62. ???? Region Rat

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Goat Boy, Barber John used to take the car to shows at the Porter County fairgrounds. Ever see him there? Early 90's, late 80's?? Bob

Jimmy2

Z-11 interesting info

Just a note to anyone interested. I received my issue of" Chevrolet By The Numbers" today from Alan Colvin, and it has some interesting info and pictures and dimensions and body and chassis info on the Z-11 cars and engines. FYI.
Jim

barber vs. ziggy

barber brought his 63 to city wanted to race ziggys 62 well ziggy blew his doors off ... 400 north off of johnson road was the site of the race ... too bad ziggy died so long ago he was the best there was wonder what happened to the car ???:dunno

elkhart county indiana library microfilm results ...

went to the library out east of me about an hour drive they have the osceola dragway postings from the 50s on up in the monday edition well looking into 1963 on up and ziggy always ran faster than the barber the closest he came was maybe 1/2 second but mostly it was at least a second ... lot of old names in there ... ziggy, kniola, kline, kaletha, sibley, schnick, brannen, barber, ragamuffin, malcom, snyder etc. just thought ya might like this information purely for historical purposes ... gonna check out porter county for us 30 results will post all soon ...

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This car being discussed was one of my favorite 409 cars of all time. I remember seeing it back around 1983 at Super Chevy-Indy and reading about it in Super Chevy magazine. Ziggy's '62 was a Tuxedo Black/Red interior Super Sport. It had fenderwell headers, chrome Astros, headlight Ram-Air, tow bar tabs, early Olds/Pontiac rear axle, and had the perfect sixties-era Super Stock stance.......I mean this thing was the ultimate 409 car that we all remembered from the good 'ol days. The magazine article said the car had run as quick as 11.68 back then. That was flying! Rich Kopanski owned the car back in the Eighties and I think he was even at Phil's convention a few years back. Last I heard the car was sold long ago to a doctor/dentist and was put back to 100% stock which ABSOLUTELY breaks my heart to hear if true!

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
Hey I just saw this post. About a month ago I was at Mike Klines house picking up my tranny. What a great guy to sit and talk with. I could spend hours over there just sitting and listening to old drag racing stories. Mike raced a Camaro called ET Bandito and before that I think he raced a 56 Chevy. He still has the tow tabs and tow bar that he would drag his cars around from track to track. If any of you know Mike, you know he likes to talk about the good old days.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cheap one, Do you ever run at Osceola? I need to go back there. Haven,t run there for years but it is a real nice track. Maybe I'll see you there. I have a Belair resting in the garage that needs an '09 to wake it up from retirement.
Nice pics of your Dad's car. Bob

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
This car being discussed was one of my favorite 409 cars of all time. I remember seeing it back around 1983 at Super Chevy-Indy and reading about it in Super Chevy magazine. Ziggy's '62 was a Tuxedo Black/Red interior Super Sport. It had fenderwell headers, chrome Astros, headlight Ram-Air, tow bar tabs, early Olds/Pontiac rear axle, and had the perfect sixties-era Super Stock stance.......I mean this thing was the ultimate 409 car that we all remembered from the good 'ol days. The magazine article said the car had run as quick as 11.68 back then. That was flying! Rich Kopanski owned the car back in the Eighties and I think he was even at Phil's convention a few years back. Last I heard the car was sold long ago to a doctor/dentist and was put back to 100% stock which ABSOLUTELY breaks my heart to hear if true!

How about some photos of this car?

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ziggy's 409

Give this a shot

Attachments

• kopanski.jpg
    kopanski.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 237
  • kopanski -1.jpg
    kopanski -1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 215

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great! It worked! Anyway, is that a good lookin' '62 Chevy or what? Makes me wanna just jump in that thing and head for the closest Dragstrip. To me.......this is what a '62 409 is supposed to look like! Yeah, I know most of 'em get restored back to 100% original, but the cars like this are the ones we all remember and are responsible for creating the legend that 409's have become!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thanks Mark for the posting... You are correct that is the way we remember the 62-63 cars.
Robert