Barn find?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Well not exactly, but it was in a shed much like a barn.

1962 Biscayne 2 door sedan. Black over Red (not original colors). Painted maybe 25 years ago. OK from 5 feet. Could be lacquer.

1962 Biscayne.jpg

Underneath has not been touched since 1962 and same for the suspension.

No drive train, he once had a BBC with a four-on-the-floor. Front clip not complete and not properly fastened. Hood off the hinges.

Interior probably done a long time ago, and still needs flooring and headliner.

Re-spray of Red interior dash done in wrong sheen (too shiny)

1962 Biscayne interior.jpg

Aside from the cosmetic and other needs, we had some concerns about the VIN tag on the door jamb and the cowl tag on the firewall,

I'll post some pics in a subsequent post. I suspect James has an opinion as well, we spent a few hours going over things.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure what your question is???
Are you looking for guesstimates on value? Be careful, you seem to pay too much most times.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Sorry I didn't get a good set of pics of the VIN tag and the cowl tag. James might have taken some of the cowl tag that he might add.

The rosettes or fasteners on the cowl tag appear to possibly have been modified. We think the body might have been "re-badged" at one time.

We heard a bit more of the history of the car, it had been commissioned to be painted a long time ago, then the owners stiffed the body shop so he took possession. It could be that in order to get a title back then (25+ years) he might have altered the tags. It was really hard to tell as the cowl rag had been painted over with a semi-gloss Black on the firewall. But the two fasteners look more like they had a blob of putty holding them on.

The ask is $8K and that might be OK except for the question of the two tags. They do match each other in terms of the VIN sequence.
Not sure if the VIN on the title matches, will find that out tomorrow. He didn't bring title. I bet it matches the two tags.

For a St. Louis made car, this one must have lived elsewhere as it quite solid unlike most Midwest cars. The bottom of the car was typical for an unprotected car, had surface corrosion and was a bit scaley but not rusted through at all. Quarters seemed to be solid originals. Lips around wheel wells were solid. It did have a replacement RF fender, had the holes drilled for Impala or Belair trim.

James thinks it's a $3K car, I think that would be a great deal even with an unresolved set of tags. I am thinking more like $6K. Seller is asking $8K.

This wouldn't be a "flip car" since it would take so much to make it a #2 car and then there's the issue of title...

So I have to decide whether this is something we might keep. Maybe finish it out and just make it a driver (assuming title is OK, etc.). I was attracted to it because it's a two door post, looks sinister, and of course, would look great with a dual quad 409 four speed :).

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
James, thanks for posting that cowl tag :).

This is the one in contention. Check out those rosette/fasteners, we think they look fudged.

So we went back and looked at my 1961 BA and the 1962SS car. The SS car is a Van Nuys build, and it had a dab of sealer (or something) over the two fasteners. The BA348 car was a St.Louis build like the Biscayne, had no sealer. Both those are documented originals.

So the question is whether these have been transferred, and if so, down goes the value.

The owner never did match the title data to the VIN and cowl tags, we'll get to that today. Title is in bank safe deposit box I guess.

I floated a tentative offer of $5K dependent on how things turn out with the tags. He would not accept that, so it would have to be another number to motivate the seller. Not sure I want to go further, but would like to resolve the tag issue for him (or for me!!).

Overall the Biscayne could be made into a nice "driver". It will need a total rebuild of the chassis/suspension, a fresh drive train, and reassembly of the interior. Also, the front clip is loosely connected and missing a few parts (inner wheel wells, radiator, etc.). Not sure if I want another driver, but the car does fit in well with my interests. Plus I think a Black over Read two door Biscayne from 1962 just looks sinister :). Especially with a 409 four speed!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
On my 62SS with very original tags, there is a small amount of dum-dum pressed over the little indentation in the rosette fastener.
This one in the Biscayne looks to be done sloppily (see above), but then consider the process back then...

RCampbell

Well Known Member
When you look at the car again...take a feeler gauge to run between the vin tag and the door pillar. It should slip in with a little effort and should move freely between the spot welds. Chances are that if the tag was "reinstalled " the "glue" covered the entire back side of the tag preventing the feeler gauge from slipping in.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Good tip, will check that out with my cars first to get a "feel" for comparison purposes.

Assuming he gets us a matching title (the cowl and VIN tags do match up to one another) I plan to go back and verify additional details and maybe make an offer...

TomK

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Rosette rivets were not used until 65 and the trim tag didn't get them anyway. It was factory procedure to put some sealant, dud'dum or whatever you want to call it in the rivet holes on the trim tag.
See if you can locate the partial VIN number on the frame to remove all doubts.
The body was built the 3rd week of April so see if that lines up with any other date coded components on the car .

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What makes you think there is a VIN plate problem? I don't see anything and that cowl tag looks perfectly normal

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Back to value. Not a flip?, of course not if you pay $8000 for that, purpose of a flip is to make some money, that at $4000 you could make a couple K. $5500-$6000 tops if you want to keep it and sink quite a lot of money to make it a nice car.