Barrett Jackson

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Don't care much for "resto-mod." Either it is restored, a hot rod, or a hack job. If I wanted an LS engine, I would buy a new vehicle. Same reason I prefer watching the Gassers running on you tube to watching "no prep." When your car is worth more than your house, you may be a redneck...Sacrilege to put an LS in a 62 bubbletop, just saying...Oh yeah, and I am a redneck, my priorities are more in line with the reasonable redneck standard.:crazy:tongue

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yup,

Airbags, ridiculous wheels, low profile tires and stupid interiors. Although my car was built before I was born, I am also old enough at 53 to remember seeing cars on the road when I was a kid saying "geez that is really a neat car." Of course I am a hard core Chevy guy, but the only car TV show I watch is the fella out west that restores the Mopars... They do a fantastic job of restoration!

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yup,

Airbags, ridiculous wheels, low profile tires and stupid interiors. Although my car was built before I was born, I am also old enough at 53 to remember seeing cars on the road when I was a kid saying "geez that is really a neat car." Of course I am a hard core Chevy guy, but the only car TV show I watch is the fella out west that restores the Mopars... They do a fantastic job of restoration!

I'm the same as you a GM GUY but if I wasn't I would be a MOPAR 426 hemi guy. I also enjoy watching graveyardcarz :drinking

chevy eblem.jpg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Chevy has built some POS. Tranny's for lots of years, their first diesel, crappy paint, ect. I bought at least 20-25 new Ford trucks and had very little problems with them. I've had the Crusher since 1988 and went back to GM in 2016. Still have a electrical problem with it they can't fix. Chevy has built some POS.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Nice 61 348 Impala sold $45K wish I was there...

Just got back from 2 days at Barrett Jackson ( about 8 hrs today). I looked at all the 61 348 cars. I could have bought one with your $ with a bidders pass. As I recall both the 348 cars were nice to above average. I made a point to look at 61 to 64’s and a number of 55 to 57’s, Camaros, Novas. There were lots of very nice cars. A large number of customs, resto mods.
Costs $1500 to sell a car + 10 % sellers & 10 % buyers fee added to the hammer price. Bidders passes are $600. Stage bidders pay $ 1500 , skybox bidders pay $2000 ( stage and skybox bidders get free booze). 75 % of the persons sitting on flat floor are bidders only...
Paul

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They probably all have lemons. I have had much better luck with GM. 2008 Ford with Powerchoke that I spent many $1000’s on to get it to regen, replace and reshim injectors. Explorer that cost me more than the GNP of most South American countries to keep running. Although I did have an 89 F150 with a 300 six that ran like a champ. Silver paint fell off tho.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just got back from 2 days at Barrett Jackson ( about 8 hrs today). I looked at all the 61 348 cars. I could have bought one with your $ with a bidders pass. As I recall both the 348 cars were nice to above average. I made a point to look at 61 to 64’s and a number of 55 to 57’s, Camaros, Novas. There were lots of very nice cars. A large number of customs, resto mods.
Costs $1500 to sell a car + 10 % sellers & 10 % buyers fee added to the hammer price. Bidders passes are $600. Stage bidders pay $ 1500 , skybox bidders pay $2000 ( stage and skybox bidders get free booze). 75 % of the persons sitting on flat floor are bidders only...
Paul
Was there a few years ago. Scottsdale is a big complex. TV doesn’t show it all. Lots of blondes in little black dresses running around, the area with all the memorabilia (most repop) was cool. I would like to go again.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I like the color on the green GTX that sold last night. Think it went for 115,000.00, car had 250,000.00 in it.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Keep in mind the build numbers on early 60's impalas were multiple hundreds of thousands per year with 63' making the most of all. Some will get turned into lowriders BUT as a whole the classic car parts aftermarket wouldnt be as good as it is today if it weren't for all classic car guys custom work. Even lowriders.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Chevy has built some POS. Tranny's for lots of years, their first diesel, crappy paint, ect. I bought at least 20-25 new Ford trucks and had very little problems with them. I've had the Crusher since 1988 and went back to GM in 2016. Still have a electrical problem with it they can't fix. Chevy has built some POS.

You've been blessed with your ford purchases. My son had 2012 F150 problems, he also had a 2014 450 for work problems, my father in law and brother in law 87 problems.

My son went back too GM last year for his personal and work vehicle :drinking

A friend was looking at Durmax's and I went too a tile liqudation and noticed in the back there was a heavy duty truck repair shop.

Full of Ford's so I asked the guy what do you think of the durmax versus the ford. He said you don't see any Durmax' back here.

I have a 2016 GM with no issues. What is your electrical problem?

Thanks Ted

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Ted

The check trailer brake warning comes on intermittently, trailer or no trailer. Almost 80k miles and many times to 2 dealers. This was the first GM I bought in over 30 years. The next one I bought has been trouble free so far. GM is much more comfortable and rides better is why I bought another. The seats in ford Expeditions suck.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keep in mind the build numbers on early 60's impalas were multiple hundreds of thousands per year with 63' making the most of all. Some will get turned into lowriders BUT as a whole the classic car parts aftermarket wouldnt be as good as it is today if it weren't for all classic car guys custom work. Even lowriders.
Give or take about 1.4 million per year 55-70’s, just full size Chevys of all body styles.
The components of these cars were the same on other gm’s and were not changed every year so lots of incentive for aftermarket production.
Ford and Mopar made much more frequent parts changes in these years. Now they make changes as often as they change their underwear at a brothel. You can’t order any part without a vin.

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep! I wasn't aware that they made so few Mustangs until they went to the "world body" that was legal in every country. Before 2015 they made just 70,000 cars and that was it. Now Ford and everyone else is getting rid of cars (yet keeping mustang). The future full size impala is gone again. Everyone thinks they want an SUV and truck now but gas prices are going to bounce back up and to kill that. Electric is still behind on making those 6000lbs trucks move.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ted

The check trailer brake warning comes on intermittently, trailer or no trailer. Almost 80k miles and many times to 2 dealers. This was the first GM I bought in over 30 years. The next one I bought has been trouble free so far. GM is much more comfortable and rides better is why I bought another. The seats in ford Expeditions suck.

Only electrical issue I seem to have is when I plug in my trailer lights. MPG drops by about 4.........

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

True. To each their own, just pains me to see them chopped up and LS powered. :cry

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just remember that pushes up the price of the real thing. Example would be to point towards the number of clone cars out there. No real parts from original car but they are getting pricey because everyone wants one. 10 years ago my dealership could buy a clone for next to nothing. Now we pay what the real thing was going for 10 years ago and the real thing is worth way more. The guys rocking the 348-409 under the hood has a crowd standing around talking about it. Few people will ever stop and talk about an LS other than to say. "Yep, LS."