Barrett Jackson

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Times have definitely changed. Back when a new car was $2500 used cars sold for as little as $25 and most decent ones went for $300-$400. Of course economics were quite different then but what has changed drastically is this quest for old cars. Back then no old car brought big money, none. No one wanted an old car, you had one because it was all you could afford.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Tommy didn’t you old 61 Impala sell for more than it did Saturday on a previous Barrett Jackson auction after you sold it?
Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
the L-89 I have sold at the 200 mecum auction for 120,000...I bought it 6 years ago for 80K...how do these guys stay afloat selling cars for half of the investment price...I sold my HD 90 cc. scooter today for 2500, made better than a grand, that's how us old guys pay the bills...:brow

Last edited:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tommy didn’t you old 61 Impala sell for more than it did Saturday on a previous Barrett Jackson auction after you sold it?
Paul
Yes, it sold for 105k at BJ back about 2007 or 2008. That car is not an SS, nor is it an original 4 speed. It was originally a 283 powerglide, black with white top.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Its all Trumps fault for making the economy good therefore more money to spend on old cars JMO. :dunno
I think there may be something to that except i look at it a little differently. The cars have been soft for the past year and i figured it might be because the stock market was doing so well since Trump got elected. The high rollers moved their money from the cars back to Wall Street. But last fall the market dropped and even though it is better now it is still very erratic so i thought maybe some of that money might come back to the cars. I think we saw some of that at BJ this week.

However. I bet the Corvette purest are fit to be tied with all those Vetts being made into restomods.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Evolution is what it is

(At risk of pissing some off on here)

Every time some on makes a low rider out of one of our cars it puts the price of your cars up due to one less original on the road
As said before the aftermarket parts industry was not born from complete restoration requirements but the restoration business has definitely benefited from the aftermarket business.
Big wheels and low profile tyres? how many of you run 60 series tires? Aluminium or chrome cragers? american racing wheels, who runs 17s?
Ford 9 inch diffs??? this is not a restoration but is it acceptable for the fact that it serves a purpose (drag racing) and is not visible
Air bag suspension?? try riding on the shit roads on this side of the planet with original suspension and see how much falls off your car
Custom paint? who has a non factory colour on their car?
I agree that a special car (409-SS any year) deserves to be restored
A Z11 should only ever be as original as it can be.

But for me with a base line 348 60 2 door hard top impala a 12 bolt diff 17x8 american racing wheels 50 series tires, TH400 trans and a injected 454 is that way i like my car.

My 61 is again a run of the mill impala not an SS so im not making it into one
It has a 348 250HP A/C P/S P/B Auto trans, manual everything else
Most likely the most common 61 2 door ever
I have the 348 (not original to the car) and am putting that in but with a 5 speed tremec
Every part for the 348 or the body has to be imported (no two doors or 348 or 409 ever sold new in New Zealand)
It will run 17 inch wheels (maybe but nothing larger)

But here is the thing

If i can only get 15-18MPG out of this combo and gas is $6.60 USD per gallon (over here) and for the same cost i can sell the 348 and install an LS and get 28MPG i could afford to drive it more, thus keeping it on the road more and not stored in a shed
The more it is seen on the road the more others appreciate the cars as a whole and the value of your cars goes up

I dont like hydraulic, jumping low riders on 13 inch wheels just the same as you guys and would never have one.

Sorry

Steve

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Your cars are far from being butchered up Steve. They looked good to me. Anyone can do what they want to their car as far as I'm concerned. I'm a dinosaur, so is my car. Why wouldn't someone put an LS in our cars instead of spending a mountain of cash for an 09? We're going the way of the Model T's. Time Marches on. Kudos to the guys that are saving the W's.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
This very nice 62 Biscayne 409 sold for much less than what the owner wanted. It was on a Portland Mecum auction with a reserve in 2018 and did not sell at $60,000. Barrett Jackson no reserve price was $ 44,000 + 10 % sellers fee.
It’s a 995 point car in my opinion, after looking it over at the auction, it had lots of NOS parts on it. Another seller burned by no reserve.
Most of the rich guys want restro mods from what it looked like on Friday and Saturday sales.
Paul
CE694153-F997-471D-8564-D256B4E83D50.jpeg98C57553-253F-41EE-A977-F678D5240783.jpegB6B1E874-014D-4D34-B343-5D366EC0B37D.jpeg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Paul I must admit those restomodes were where the money was Saturday. Case in point look what has happened to the 61 that was Tommy’s car Saturday! I think we are seeing the new wave as I use my daughter and her husband as a “guide”.
I am seriously considering trading my 62 SS car for a Corvette. Not sure where I’m headed with the two 61 cars. I’m sure I’ll show the “real” 61 SS a bit this summer but will cut back my schedule. I wonder what the 61’s would look like as a LS restomods!
Robert

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
This very nice 62 Biscayne 409 sold for much less than what the owner wanted. It was on a Portland Mecum auction with a reserve in 2018 and did not sell at $60,000. Barrett Jackson no reserve price was $ 44,000 + 10 % sellers fee.
It’s a 995 point car in my opinion, after looking it over at the auction, it had lots of NOS parts on it. Another seller burned by no reserve.
Most of the rich guys want restro mods from what it looked like on Friday and Saturday sales.
Paul
View attachment 67910View attachment 67911View attachment 67912
That is an absolutely beautiful car. WOW. Kindly allow me to proceed and please don't kill the messenger if you don't agree with the message. In re. to the low price ($44,000.00), which I actually think is a fair price, maybe people are getting tired of paying outrageous money for some of these cars. I've been looking at different makes and models for a while, and the prices are ridiculous. For instance, a trifive Chevy convertible. One done nicely is about $55,000.00-$60,000.00. I'm very fortunate. Very thankful. I could afford that if I wanted, but I won't. I'll do without before I'd pay that much money. That's just crazy; plain and simple. Couple that with the fact that many of us who admire these cars, are starting to lose interest for various reasons. Sadly, some passing away. No one is taking our place. We are left with the same supply but less demand, and the price of a car should reflect that. In my opinion, it's only going to get worse. Sure, there are some cars out there that will always command big bucks because of rarity or something else, but the majority will take a nose dive. Return to reality as they should. Make more cars accessible price wise to those that can afford it and appreciate them. Alot of stupid money out there and I'm not going to contribute to it. BTW, I'm also affected by this. I'm not exempt. I have a few cars that I will sell some day and I'll have to live by what I profess. But, I'm prepared and understand. Probably shouldn't say this and I hope it's not a member here, but I'm glad the above seller apparently got his ass burnt some. Probably a millionaire anyway so what does it matter. All in the price of doing business. Resto mods-yuck. Not my thing. Well, have to leave you fine people and turn the heat up in the garage. It was 1 degree here yesterday morning. Nine degrees this morning. Holy crap, a warming trend :laugh4:laugh4:laugh4, Carmine.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I do think that sites like this one keep the lights on for that next generation of older car collectors. The cars might be expensive, but the advise is generally free and everyone gets to advance their projects at their own pace, making their own decisions.

And I suspect there's a bit of "peer pressure" among us regulars to continue to advance projects and share the ongoing results and eventually the final product :) :) :).

Thanks Bob!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I believe the "winds are changing" as Robert says in post #53 above.
Remember, the winds change direction. Twenty five years ago i didnt even watch BJ because it was mostly the big old classic cars that they were selling. Ten years ago the muscle cars were hot then it was the street rods and now the restro mods. BJ is a different world from what most of us live in. BJ is mostly just a show and we should remember that. I will stay with the original cars, if nothing else i only have to restore the car once. Those resto mods will have to be redone next year because the color or style that is hot today will be old news this time next year. If they arent redone the value will go straight down.
As for the 61 Impala that was mine, that car sold out there in 2008 for 105k. This past Saturday the same car sold for 78k. The restoration is 10 years old, i dont know how well the car has been maintained in those 10 years, i do know that during that time it has had hyd. lowering devices installed and removed along with other changes so maybe a 25k reduction in value isnt too bad plus it sold late Saturday night after all those high dollar cars. Just some thoughts

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I do think that sites like this one keep the lights on for that next generation of older car collectors. The cars might be expensive, but the advise is generally free and everyone gets to advance their projects at their own pace, making their own decisions.

And I suspect there's a bit of "peer pressure" among us regulars to continue to advance projects and share the ongoing results and eventually the final product :) :) :).

Thanks Bob!
Yes, thank you very much Bob for keeping this site going. It is a great place to come to. We share our experience and knowledge about the "W" engines with all those that will listen. I venture to say that most of us are older and part of the reason we own a "W" powered car, is that we can relate to it. It's maybe something we always wanted but life got in the way. I know that is how i feel about it. Couldn't have or afford one when I was younger, but now I can. As I mentioned in a previous thread, as we age and get older yet, lose interest or sadly pass on, there is no one, or very few, to take our place. They can't relate to these cars or love them like we do. Look at the restored, nicely done, pristine cars of the 30's-early 50's. Perhaps even earlier.They are beautiful and priced cheaply in my opinion. They are priced accordingly because there is no market for them. That generation is dying off. Sad. I should really buy one at a fraction of what some other cars cost, but I don't want one. Can't relate to it. I'm not suggesting that relating to a car is prerequisite for buying one, but it certainly is a part of it; at least to me. Look at the present generation, or even the one before that. They have little to no interest in our cars. They don't understand this old iron. They would rather buy a 4 cylinder twin turbo putting out 350 hp, getting 35 miles to the gallon, go around corners like they are glued to them, for the same amount. Can you blame them?? In substance, what I am saying, there is no line forming to buy our cars. No right of passage. Sure, we can trade and buy among ourselves, but that will be gone someday; then what?? To get people motivated and interested in our hobby, there has to be an attraction. Certainly the price of some of these cars, isn't doing it. And there you have it. My most humble opinion. Time for supper, Carmine.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It’s up to us to continue the tradition.

My 2-12 year old and 1-10 year old grandsons want to build this 32. They have disassembled it, including removing the body off the frame without using a lift and are beginning the rebuild process.

Not everyone has/had this opportunity(certainly not me), but when you do keep the fires lit!! Too many of our grandkids have their heads stuck in front of a computer or cell phone. Get them involved in anything automotive. The one in the 27 Ford Speedster is 12 and taught himself how to use the clutch(a little guidance from me) and he’s put about 100 miles on it on the 6 acres here. He even taught his 12 year old cousin how to use the clutch and shifting!! One teaching the other!!
Could it be more proud!! They might never do anything with the knowledge, but at least the know and respect restored cars.
My 2 sons had to change u-joints and valve seals on a 350 4 speed 67 Nova.

Let’s all keep it going!

AAA64A47-A553-4E7B-A9A0-3D59A3C5B0BD.jpeg16CDF675-F7C1-4D5A-9AF4-F2CF36397B57.jpegB02C2B69-53F0-4F1C-8DEA-269CDD2F31D0.jpegD335FD2A-D4FE-4442-9613-BA1D6D2C9749.jpeg

284B2DA3-E034-4F55-88AF-B17412791C79.jpeg

DD455996-F1CE-402C-9C81-326990C97801.jpeg