Barrett Jackson

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Just watched a black on red bubble top 62 Belair 409 sell for $56,000......Market must be down

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I saw that 62 409 bubble top at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale 2019
I was there for two days this year.

The 62 409 Bubble top was nice but not perfect (especially under the hood). I have seen a number of other 409 cars that were very nice including a number of them at this auction(2- maroon 63 409s -on hardtop and one convertible that were much nicer than this black bubble top.

You need to remember that Barrett is a no reserve auction and if bidders are not bidding against each other & are sold at the wrong time....the cars can and do get sold cheap/or below what the owners expect them to sell for
I saw a number of examples of this at the auction (cars I saw in person):
  1. A very nice 63 Ford red convertible (new paint, new top, new interior) 390 - 4 speed - sold for $ 19,000 (without 10 % to buyer and 10 % to the seller)---https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1963-FORD-GALAXIE-500-CONVERTIBLE--226484
  2. A mint original documented 62 Biscayne 409/409 California car, original motor 999 point out of 1000 point car - sold for $ 44,000 (without 10 % to the buyer and 10 % to the seller). This same car was at Mecum auction in Portland in late 2018( I looked it up) and the owner turned down $ 60,000 at a Mecum auction in Portland, Oregon where they have reserves set by the owners. https://www.mecum.com/lots/PJ0618-329431/1962-chevrolet-biscayne/
  3. A restored 1968 road runner that came from the same restoration shop as #1 above(in fact I know a friend who works at the restoration shop by Omaha, Nebraska). The owner turned down way over $ 30,000 at a reserve Auction in Texas and it sold at 2019 Barrett Jackson for $ 24,200 (without 10 % to the buyer and 10 % to the seller) https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1968-PLYMOUTH-ROAD-RUNNER-226483
Not enough bidders/not sold at the right time, at a non reserve "Barrett Jackson" auction and the owners sell their cars too cheap.
There are lots of cars that sell for too much money at Barrett Jackson , you need 2 or more bidders fighting over the car.

Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Very interesting Paul. I don't know very much about car auctions, but it seems to me at a no reserve auction, if the last bid on the car you are selling falls real short on what the car is worth or you want for it, shouldn't you bid on it yourself?? You might have to pay some percentages, but at least the car doesn't go real cheap. You don't take a beating on it. Do people do this?? Is this allowed at auctions?? I don't even like Fords, but how could you go wrong on that '63 vert. What a bargain if that's your thing. Thanks, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Its supposed to be illegal to bid on your own car by the auction companies(and is to my knowledge).
There have been reports (confidential) of persons buying their cars back. Barrett does not approve of
those actions (their are/or were online comments that I read a few years ago, even from Barrett that they do not permit persons buying back their own cars (to save losing lots of $).

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
look at the underneath photo by the rear end for the biscayne Is that an inline fuel filter ???

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Paul. I guess you better be ready to part with your car at a no reserve auction. So then you are obligated to sell the car at the last bid, like it or not. Yikes :(:(:(. Quite a roll of the dice, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes I would not and do not like a no reserve auction with one of my cars.

I spent a long time talking to two guys who were selling their cars at Scottsdale

one a resto mod 57 Chevy Hardtop (with a wild color combination) from Hawaii (thats right he put in on a cargo plane and flew it to the US) -this guy has a restoration shop
AND a restored all original 67 427 Corvette ( NCRS ) - He said he was afraid to drive the Corvette so he was selling it -he wanted to drive the car.
I asked them how worried they were about the no reserve. "They were concerned"

here are the two cars (both guys were talking about getting $ 100,000 -they did not get that much)

Each car costs $ 1500 to enter it to sell at Scottsdale
+ 10 % sellers fee + 10 % buyers fee.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Wow. That's alot of money to sell a car. I guess you get adequate exposure, but at the same time I think there's a little molestation occurring by the auction house. No wonder why there are several houses, some I never heard of, Carmine.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Back when I owned my red 63 split window, BJ had a big promo for a beautiful pair of tanker 63’s, both red and being sold as 1 lot. Owned by a prominent shop, the cars had been for sale on their web site, then went to BJ. They sold for way less than market, miraculously these cars showed up back on the same web site after the sale.