Barrett Jackson

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just looked at the list of cars & whatever.

Listed 15 full-size Chevrolets from 61 thru 64.

One 61 409 conv. (?) & 1 63 409 conv.

Hope a few come up on TV so we can hear the comments.

Dave

HIVOLTAGE

Well Known Member
I live locally and have gone to the Barrett-Jackson several times now. I wouldn't miss it for anything and look forward to it every year. Not many friends want to go with me as they've learned that I go ALL DAY LONG. Most of the guys are done in a couple of hours and want to go. I just don't understand them at all. Of course they are not car nuts like I am. I had a friend that wanted to go last year and told me he could hang out there longer than anyone - he lasted 4 hours. You can't even look at 1/4 of the vehicles in that little time.

I'm the Pre Owned director for a Lexus store and have been in the auto biz for 27yrs now and most of it in management. I'm not saying I'm an expert but I've got a lot of experience at appraising and purchasing vehicles. If any of you have an interest in a particular vehicle and want me to preview it for you and snap some pics let me know. As far as establishing value, that would be up to you. I've seen vehicles that went for a lot more than I thought they would while others sell for considerably less than they should of. In this biz, there's a butt for every seat and the value is in the eye of the beholder. I'll be going out there ALL DAY Tuesday and Sunday as those are my days off that week. Since I just bought the 63 Impala I probably won't be getting a bidders pass this year unless something strikes my fancy that I can't resist.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was there with my Dad last year. He lives in Mesa so it was an easy drive from there. We were there everyday! I'm not going this year but I had a lot of fun last year! I used to live in AZ and I can remember going with my Dad in the late 80s. The auction was a big deal but it was nothing like it is now!!!
Ross

HIVOLTAGE

Well Known Member
Yeah I know what you mean. I'd love to go everyday but I gotta do the work thing. I've kinda gotten use to living indoors and indoor plumbing.:roll

I'll take the two days instead of none but if I had my way I'd camp out the entire time. I'll record every bit of it so I can watch it several times through out the year. I know, it's a sickness.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Hivoltage........

you said......"the value is in the eye of the beholder. ..."...:scratch

I always thought value (and beauty) was in the eye of the beerholder.......:roll

enjoy the show........

:cheers
bj

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yeah I know what you mean. I'd love to go everyday but I gotta do the work thing. I've kinda gotten use to living indoors and indoor plumbing.:roll

I'll take the two days instead of none but if I had my way I'd camp out the entire time. I'll record every bit of it so I can watch it several times through out the year. I know, it's a sickness.

:eek: Sickness :eek: I didn't know that ! When I first found BJ on Speed Channel I bought a tv so the family wouldn't kill me for hogging the family room tv. If it is a sickness I don't think I want the cure.
:roll

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I watched any and all of the auctions avidly the last couple of years, until I started to hear all of the stuff about how the auction companies were actually pre-buying some cars and more or less actively participating in the auctions.

I don't know if any of that stuff is true or not, but the auction frenzy also seems to drive up the prices on certain cars and parts to the point that most of us are paying more for the same old rusty pieces. Some of these swap meet guys are completely out of touch, although I have heard that the economy is bring a lot of these prices back to reality this year.

So I quit fighting for the big TV with my wife, let her "win" that battle, got off the couch and headed for the garage instead.

HIVOLTAGE

Well Known Member
Hey Hivoltage........

you said......"the value is in the eye of the beholder. ..."...:scratch

I always thought value (and beauty) was in the eye of the beerholder.......:roll

enjoy the show........

:cheers
bj

:roll Yup, never gone to bed with an ugly woman but I've woken up to a few.:D

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Been going to the BJ auction for over 15 years, its a class act. Worlds largest tent, and all the $10 hamburgers you can eat. AZ409

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
It's a great car show, and I highly recommend everyone to go and take in the festivities. As far as buying, I think I'd say "don't", unless things change this year.

I went to buy a 70 Chevelle, year before last, and had about 80K to spend. I really did my homework, and thought I would be close to the money.

"I never got my hands out of my pockets." Stupid money, bought a nice car, but way over market value. Now the Chevelle (as well as many muscle cars and Corvettes) market has softened, and many profiteers are in way to deep.

I am hoping that with all of the lawsuits, and bad PR that BJ has had, that more buyers will come to their senses. The schill biding and back office goings on, aren't secrets any more.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Last year I remember several BJ owned cars go across the block. There was a beautiful Studebaker pickup that went through friday or sauturday night. Can't remember which but it was a BIG night for the type of cars being auctioned. Anyway, the pictures of the truck on the big screen clearly showed the vehicle inside of the BJ showroom! They kept that truck on the block for a looooooong time!! They got a super bid for it but they really hammered on the crowd. That was only one of several that I saw.

I also got a tidbit of info from, I guess, a reliable source last year. My Dad is in the car business and we ran into one of his friends Jeff, who is also in the car business, at a restaurant. Jeff also happens to be a personal friend of Ron Pratt. The guy who bought the Super Snake Shelby last year and the infamous Future-liner, the year before. To make a long story short, that whole sale was a bunch of smoke in mirrors. Jeff stores some of his cars near where Ron does and struck up a friendship through that. Jeff told me that the future-liner actually sold for about $400,000. I have no reason to doubt the story. That little "play" up on the stage however caused a lot of commotion and only added to the profits of BJ.

I was just there to see the my Dad, the cars and enjoy the weather. I'm not interested in playing that game but I'll still be glued to my TV next week!!

Ross