BBC stock rockers arms

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
We have a 67 Beaumont SD 396 (Chevelle SS396 based) and will be pulling the engine to re-seal and detail but not rebuild.
Original engine has 89,000 miles, heads have never been off but would like to replace rocker arms.......:rub
What are the best OEM style rocker arms on the market?........:read
Is it worth while to consider roller rockers for the 325hp (L35) that won't ever see 5000+ rpm........:drive
67 Beaumont at Sloan.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Check with Competetion Products or Crane Cams.They have stock type rockers that are "Nitro" coated,and they aren't expensive at all,BJ. These could also work in a stock-mildly modified W engine as long as the rocker studs are changed from 3/8ths.to 7/16ths.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As some of the guys have already said i would check for wear under the rocker balls and the tip where it rubs the valve and if ok i would not replace them.I am just down on these aftermarket parts most are not as good as used gm parts with in your case have 89000 miles on them.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
AGAIN....I'm agreeing with Mike!!!!!
You are taking the heads off anyway.....pull the shortblock apart and check for any wear. If every things checks out OK......just get ot hot tanked, hone cylinders and get new rings and WALA.......basically a new engine for your son!!!!!!! If you do find something wrong.....you can correct it and know you are taking the best care possible for your car!!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
AGAIN....I'm agreeing with Mike!!!!!
You are taking the heads off anyway.....pull the shortblock apart and check for any wear. If every things checks out OK......just get ot hot tanked, hone cylinders and get new rings and WALA.......basically a new engine for your son!!!!!!! If you do find something wrong.....you can correct it and know you are taking the best care possible for your car!!

Great minds think alike.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
IF it were mine ,and it's old enough to need gaskets and seals and it's coming out anyway ,then it's getting at a minimum,rings,bearings,oil pump,timing chain,and a valve job.

Last edited:

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And if your putting new gaskets in it you would also probably want to replace that dried out mummified rear main seal and then one thing leads to another lol

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
IF it were mine ,and it's old enough to need gaskets and seals and it's coming out anyway ,then it's getting at a minimum,rings,bearings,oil pump,timing chain,oil pump,and a valve job.
..........:rub..........thanx everyone for the rebuild pep talk.......:hug........but Jack I probably just need one oil pump, right.....:confused
sorry I just couldn't resist.......;)........I usually leave that kind of sarcastic humor for Phil...:wacko....just like everyone else.....:brush