Bbc water pump bi pass hose

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is the hose between the water pump and intake manifold an absolute must on a stock 454 my kid put in his 62? Thanks in advance

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would prefer to use the bypass hose. I've gotten by in the past by not using it but I'm of the mindset now that if GM thought it needs to be there, then it needs to be there!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I would prefer to use the bypass hose. I've gotten by in the past by not using it but I'm of the mindset now that if GM thought it needs to be there, then it needs to be there!
Chevy did build the Corvair you know, so everything that they built was it correct?????:D:read:dunno....

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
So why didn't small blocks use them? :dunno
Small blocks have a passage in the passenger side of the block which is used for this purpose[notice the small hole in the passenger side at the bottom of that leg of the water pump].I routinely block them when using an electric water pump.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Small blocks have a passage in the passenger side of the block which is used for this purpose[notice the small hole in the passenger side at the bottom of that leg of the water pump].I routinely block them wwhen using an electric water pump.

You KNOW what my next question is then. :D Why didn't big blocks just use that hole? (not trying to be smart but it would be cheaper than the alternative)

bobs409

Administrator
yeah, things like this keep me up at night. :D Like lately I'm trying to figure out why on the 67-72 pickups that the front and rear door pillars are bolted to the inner rocker panel. It's not like you can unbolt the floor and remove it as it's welded every place else. Can't even see a benefit to when it was being assembled on the line? Oops, got off topic a bit. ;)