Been lurking for about 10 years so probably should introduce myself

agentorange

My experience with W motors started in 1961 when I bought a 58 Del Ray with a 3x2 348 with a 4 speed. Loved that car until it spit out a rod after 100's of street matches. My next experience was a used 62 409 bored .060 which I put in my 58. Had that awhile and had a chance to trade it in on 63 SS convertible with a 425 horse 409, 4 speed and a 4.56 gear. the 4.56 was from the factory. Knocked a tooth off the 4.56, car is still under warranty, they ask me what I want for a gear and I say "How about a 4.88". This is my daily driver, I'm 21 years old and I drive the snot out of the 63. Lot's of street racing once again. However, at 21 thousand miles it spit a rod out the side. Looks like a pattern, maybe. Once they replaced the short block and one new head I was back in business. At this point I decided to go sanctioned drag racing. bought a 55 Chevy (they were plentiful in those days) pulled the 409, the 4 speed and the center sec out the rear end and put it all in the 55. I then put a 283, 3 speed overdrive and a 4.11 gear in the 63. Made a hechuva tow car. I flat towed that 55 with the 409 back and forth to the Des Moines Dragway. Won Street Eliminator 13 weeks in a row. After the summer ended I sold the 55 to guy who sold the 409 out of the car to a guy that put it in a 44 Massey Harris and went tractor pulling. I traded the 63 convertible for a 63 split window Corvette. When I look back now, what I did to that 63 Super Sport was shameful. Also, letting that 63 split window get away was also shameful.

A few years ago I told my wife I need a 63 SS 409. So I found one (not a convertible) but a nice car. I had always wanted blower motor so I got hold of Jack Gibbs and we built a blower motor. I say we because when he said I need more money I sent it to him. Bored and stroked a 348 block with a 6.71 blower. If my memory is correct I believe it made 714 hp with 6 lbs of boost. It's in a 62 Chevy ex drag car.

Picked up a couple of 348's at an auction and want to freshen one up and put it in a 60 El Camino. llky currently has a 350 but it's crying for a W motor.

By the way, I did one thing right in my many car episodes. I bought a 69 Z-28 in 71 and I still have it. Numbers matching.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
You mention: "I sold the 55 to guy who sold the 409 out of the car to a guy that put it in a 44 Massey Harris and went tractor pulling"

That guy didn't happen to be in Missouri, did he?

James, I know Raymond Lewis was big in to pulling, and you might remember I got that 1963 QB block from him way back when...
Did he pull with Massey Harris equipment?

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Welcome,those are some great stories.A 63 convertible with 425 horse and 4.88’s,that must have been crazy.
:burnout