Before the Thunderbolt.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
What’s the significance of it as shouldn’t be on a restoration car Seems as the several recent restoration cars completed aren’t “restomodes” thus requiring a stock hood
Robert

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
It would be interesting to know what car , if any, this hood was used on. These race cars made history , the history of their racing days that we all are so interested in, was done in racing trim of the early days, not in the form that they were shipped in, Their legacy is in how they looked as they were raced and made history. There is a place for perfectly correct restorations to the collector looking for top dollar, but there is also a place for day 2 type of restorations that bring back the way they looked when they were making history back in the day, in their early life. I suppose there is also a place for the rest-o-mods, just not in my life. My point is , although I enjoy seeing correct restorations, I also enjoy seeing day 2 type restorations to bring back the history of how these cars lived.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have a curiosity as to what was period correct and how some "Looks" got to be associated with certain makes of cars. The reverse teardrop scoop has a strong association with the Ford Thunderbolt which is period correct in 1964 and later. But, was the reverse teardrop scoop around before the 1964 Ford Thunderbolt? We all know where the period correct scoops came from on a bunch of 61 through 64 Chevy 409 cars including the Z 11 cars not to mention the Pontiacs of the same years and even made there way on to a number of , heaven forbid, Fords! The scoops were pirated from the Ford F600 trucks. Later the cowl scoops were strongly associated with General Motors. What car used the cowl scoop first? I never have been brand loyal but GM in the 50's through the mid 70's have been my favorites with Mopar a close second. That's why I'm interested in the aluminum Z11 hood pictured in the link. Was that Z11 hood pounded out before 1964 when the scoop was used on the Thunderbolt? If it was I find that fascinating. You'll see later where I'm going with this.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I was of the understanding that some 63 1/2 Galaxie's had this type of scoop. More than happy to be corrected.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Same Here. I always, seen those scoops on Fords. :clap Just my opinion, they look out of place, on Chevy's.:rolleyes

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1964 Thunderbolt was first with that hood scoop. That Impala hood most likely was made after that NOT in 1963.
The company that converted/built the Thunderbolts came up with that hood for the big 427 to clear
I think we all bought one of those fiberglass knock offs later, I did in 1968 to put on my 1956 Bel Air hot rod

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I have a curiosity as to what was period correct and how some "Looks" got to be associated with certain makes of cars. The reverse teardrop scoop has a strong association with the Ford Thunderbolt which is period correct in 1964 and later. But, was the reverse teardrop scoop around before the 1964 Ford Thunderbolt? We all know where the period correct scoops came from on a bunch of 61 through 64 Chevy 409 cars including the Z 11 cars not to mention the Pontiacs of the same years and even made there way on to a number of , heaven forbid, Fords! The scoops were pirated from the Ford F600 trucks. Later the cowl scoops were strongly associated with General Motors. What car used the cowl scoop first? I never have been brand loyal but GM in the 50's through the mid 70's have been my favorites with Mopar a close second. That's why I'm interested in the aluminum Z11 hood pictured in the link. Was that Z11 hood pounded out before 1964 when the scoop was used on the Thunderbolt? If it was I find that fascinating. You'll see later where I'm going with this.

You are a little tease aren’t you Ray........:happy:happy:bore4:pop

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
First time I saw the VFN version. No one makes that for the 60 Impala. The 60 Impala is a bit of an orphan when it comes to fiberglass parts.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you want to see period correct hoods for both Ford and Chevy check out the website georgeklass.net it is packed with real pictures from back in the day. I refer to it often for all kind of ideas, best website I've found yet for period correct. As far as the tear drop I have always thought of it as a Ford thing, most full size Chevys back in the day raised the back of the hood and eliminated high beams for air intakes.