Bench seat track differences

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm installing the seat trim on my newly covered seats and found the driver side trim not fitting correctly. Sure enough I go dig my old seat track out of the shed and find the seat adjuster different. What is this seat out of? Also the bolt spacing on my 61 is 9 inches front to back. Spacing on my "new" seat is 11 inches.

IMAG2523_zpsjnsafuxf.jpg

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
haha! After another hour or so of searching I think i've come to the conclusion that the 1961 track is different in that the seat adjuster pokes through the seat material and then through the trim. This track must be from a 62 or later and goes under the trim, not through it. If my original track wasn't missing a leg I would blast it, paint it and reinstall it. Think I will just go with it for now.

Found this rascal enjoying the rear seat last night. Kid spent his last day of Christmas break at Fiesta Texas in San Antonio. 75 degrees in January!

IMAG2522_zpsyycrqwyl.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Randy,
the bottom painted seat bracket appears to be a bucket seat bracket. The arm on it is for sure a bucket seat arm.
Nice 61 Impala. I have pictures of the bench seat in a 61 Impala Hardtop if you need them with the seat shells installed.
Paul

bobs409

Administrator
I found a picture of my 63 2 door bench LH track and it looks like the bottom one in the pic above:

DSCN5648.jpg

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks guys. I can't believe that I hadn't run across that little tidbit while I was searching for a seat to replace my original. Live and learn...

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What is this lower trim from? It has the correct seat adjuster hole but will not mate to the upper trim. I would swear this came off my old seat but it wont fit over the trim bracket. The brackets are the same for both seats I have. Maybe I had the wrong trim all along and it never properly mated with the upper trim. :scratch I was thinking I would just buy the correct lower trim for this seat and install it for now until I can find the correct 61 trim. ****In case anyone has any they're looking to unload. I can polish/rework.

f07f2cdb-7dba-422b-8b39-e61201ebdf4c_zpsk6vyu6hr.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are pictures of the correct 61 trim from a original 1961 Impala Hardtop that was owned by
a friend and restored by another friend, so I know the trim is correct since I know the history of the car.

The seat controls (1961 & 1962) are supposed to be the one with the straight arm not the curved one.
I think the lower one you have in your picture is off a 4 door sedan bench seat that does not fold. The upper trim on the seat is supposed to have ribs in it.
Paul
P1010252_tn.jpg P1010241_tn.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Don't forget the wire to release the passenger side seat track as shown in the pictures of a seat. It connects the driver side track to the passenger side so when you release the knob on the drivers side it will also release the passenger track so the seat moves correctly. Note that the wire runs diagonally from the track to the front lower center of the seat to the pass track.
62 seat -#3.jpg 62 seat-#4.jpg 62 seat -#3.jpg

Attachments

• 62 front seat#1.jpg
    62 front seat#1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 10

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thank you for the pics Paul, I had the springs mounted wrong. Wouldn't have known until the seat was installed. Everything makes sense now. I located the correct trim and will also have the correct seat tracks. You've been a huge help! :bow