Bent exhaust pushrods.

Maxhawkins28

Well Known Member
When setting valve lash do you just got to tdc1 and tdc6 according to the book in which the certain exhaust and intake valves can be set till the pushed stops moving then 3/4 turn.

tenxal

Well Known Member
When setting valve lash do you just got to tdc1 and tdc6 according to the book in which the certain exhaust and intake valves can be set till the pushed stops moving then 3/4 turn.

Well...that's one way to do it.

As far as the preload on the lifters, you really need to follow the lifter mfgs recommendation on preload. There are many, many styles of hydraulics out there and not all preload amts. work on all lifters.

All the best with your project. :)

P.S. A good little brain exercise is to figure out how far you were off originally. This will get you started: The crank keyways are (blank) degrees apart and the cam rotates at (blank) crank speed. Pour yourself a big Capt. Morgan and Coke when you get it! :cool:

Maxhawkins28

Well Known Member
Hey there haven't been on in a while to update you guys but I got her running but can't get her to idle correctly was told it could be my idle jets but I was also looking into getting a new holley carb. right now I have a carter afb.

Maxhawkins28

Well Known Member
Yeah I'm not quite sure I previously rebuilt it while assembling the motor. had a few fires above the carb, couldn't get her to really go below 1500-1000 rpm slowly turning mix and idle screws while adjusting the distributor. Got it down to about 850 to 1000 and gave it throttle to see if she would stay down but she bounced back up and it looked like the front venturies were dripping a lot of fuel in so it seemed like something was sticking is my idea.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Fuel dripping out of venturis at idle... Check floats for damage, needle and seats for dirt, check float level setting and ensure it swings properly. If fuel level is to high for some reason venturis drip and idle cannot be set. Fuel air ratio through out entire rpn range is un-setable.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Check fuel pressure first.
If the idle speed screw is in to far it will make fuel drip out the boosters.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
AFB's don't like 7 psi at all! Get a gauge and check to see what you're actually getting to that carb.The Holley,on the other hand,won't mind 7 psi .