Best 64 SS seat foam and covers

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I got SEM paint from Cars inc in Michigan for my 62 SS consoles and can use it on original padded dashes.
The Cars part number for silver vinyl paint ( for years 1958-1964) is #1025. Probably have to call them, the paint number does not work on their website, but it is listed in their catalog.
SEM has a tech line if needed - they are in South Carolina ( they sell to dealers)

As junky recommended i used the prep SEM items (cleaner & vinyl prep) purchased from Summit Racing.
SEM # 38343 vinyl prep ( after using SEM soap)
for SEM Soap #39362

Junky

Well Known Member
As Cars runs out of vinyl paints, they are not restocking because it is a slow moving item. I tried to get my dash paint from them, and it was out of stock, then I was told that it was not ever coming back into stock. Guess that they couldn't sell enough of it fast enough. A local shop custom mixes SEM products and I buy a pint at a time. They will put it up in 4 spray cans for an extra charge.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I've used the SEM products before. Mixed results even using prep on the softer plastic interior trim pieces on my F bodies but good luck on hard plastic -even used it on the roll bar in the Camaro!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So how do you slide out the vent window and crank to work on it?

Decided to see if they can do silver carpet on door panels and seats, and use black on the floor.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
To get the vent windows out you first have to remove the door glass.
The door glass is mounted to the lower track on the bottom of the chrome door glass frames with two equal spaced
philips screws through the 18 inch metal track. The screws are less than a 1/4 inch long countersunk into the u shaped track on the bottom of the door frames.
You raise the door glass far enough to see screws through the access holes in the interior door skin - so you can remove them and push the track away from you to release the horizontal track from the 2 short mounting supports off the bottom of the chrome frame( sometimes these mounts “rust off“ the chrome window frames and then you have buy new frames and/ or repair them
In order to remove the door glass, you will need to remove the L shaped window stops from front and rear vertical chrome window frames ( use a good light inside the door with the glass rolled up and study how it operates and the stop locations( the stops also have access holes in the door skin at fixed locations when rolling the window up & down.

finally you then have to loosen the entire vent window track and it’s chrome frame( with the vent controls ) from the door skin - study the mounting bolts and adjusting studs and the single mounting screw - prior to trying to loosening it and tip it to the front to allow the door glass and the door glass chrome frame to slide up and out of the two vertical tracks ( one track is on the vent controls - the other is mounted to the rear door jamb

the vent glass assembly might have to be turned/ twisted to remove from the door vertically. Sometimes the vent controls on the vent assembly prevent vertical removal to be done only at one position.

the vent window assembly fuzzy vertical chrome beaded tracks may also need to be replaced and/or the vent glass rubber needs replacement - this work is another not easy process out of the car. Be careful to not damage the vent window shaft that the vent controls slide onto( the controls can be very hard to slide down and off the vent assembly)

Not possible option to remove the vent controls only:
I doubt that you can remove the vent window controls from the vent window glass frame shaft “without removing the door glass and the vent window assembly from the door” ( very hard to reach through the limited access holes in the door skin..........to try to slide the controls( that have 3 hex mounting bolts) off the chrome vent window frame shaft that is also bolted to the vent window shaft..

Paul

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not trying to disagree Paul but I did remove just the controls for the vent windows on my 62 when I fixed them years back. I don’t remember it being that bad to do.

Junky

Well Known Member
Convertible vent frames attach differently than sedan type vent frames, and are a lot easier to work on. The biggest problem that I have experienced is that the screws rust and are difficult to remove. I have changed my penetrant of preference to Deep Creep, and spray everything a day or two in advance. I have found that what used to be difficult to take apart, now comes apart much easier.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Nate
My point was that more than 1/2 of the vent controls I have removed from vent assembly’s ( from 10 sets ) had the controls jammed onto the vent shafts( by the factory) so the only way to get them off was to hit the controls(with a punch) while holding the shaft ( without damaging the shaft).
the hard ones to remove needed the sides of the vent window shafts ground down to reassemble the vent controls onto the shafts.
I would try without removing the door glass & vent assembly to unbolt the controls( 4 hex bolts)( with soaking bolts as Junky noted) as you suggest - but the may not slide off....easy...

paul

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok I understand now Paul. I will just consider myself lucky mine came apart easy for me then!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Sounds like a job!

I pulled off the panel steels man those window felt staples were pretty bad a$$!Stout.

Looking at headliner it looks like on off white or very light blue, even in areas that did not see the sun.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
I purchased my foams from pui for my 63 buckets and they fit well and plush enough. My seat covers I ordered from Ciadella and they do seem quality. However, I don’t have a comparison to cars inc or even show cars offer a interior kit. I went with Ciadella’s because I wanted the cloth inserts and cars inc didn’t have that option.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Decided on silver interior no carpet tails on seats. Black carpet, also on silver door panels and kick panels, black package trat, silver headliner and visors. Gina was great to order from had pictures to look at of carpet on door panels or no carpet. Carpet finally grew on me.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I originally, purchased my bucket seat foam from Eckler's. They looked old and ratty. Some of the foam was peeling off.:confused I called Eclker's and told them, and they refunded my money.:appl Then I noticed, Chevrolet Restoration World, sold the same foam. :clap Half the price.:applI bought the foam from them.

Junky

Well Known Member
I originally, purchased my bucket seat foam from Eckler's. They looked old and ratty. Some of the foam was peeling off.:confused I called Eclker's and told them, and they refunded my money.:appl Then I noticed, Chevrolet Restoration World, sold the same foam. :clap Half the price.:applI bought the foam from them.

I believe that all the foam comes from one vendor. In the restoration business, it doesn't make sense for multiple vendors manufacturing the same part, and they all trade or sell parts to each other. It is the only cost effective way to stay in business and make a profit. The only thing that each of the vendors seem to have manufactured exclusively for themselves is upholstery fabric, and even then, sometimes it is more cost effective to purchase it from another vendor that specializes in fabrics.