Best garage floor coating?

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure where your located but we used a company from Forest Park Ohio called Gorrilla Garage. Looks great, pick your color and guaranteed for the life of the house or shop and transferable. They are about an hour south of me and travel. Look them up under Gorrillagarage.com.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I bought the best primer and epoxy I could find and did my garage floor a couple years ago. About killed me putting the epoxy on. Not worth a crap. The other epoxy I put on probably 10 years ago was great. The crap they put out now sucks imo. Looks like I should have went with someone like Scott recommends.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Dad used Carbit (they are local) industrial epoxy on our garage floor and it has been great for decades. Don't know if what they sell now is the same or reformulated. I can say if the floor isn't clean and super dry, nothing will work worth a crap. I have the rust-oleum epoxy on my trailer floor and so far it is holding up exceptionally well.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The place I used come in and diamond grind the floor fix any cracks then apply the coatings. They also did the wood steps going in the house and traction grip so it's not slick when wet. If you look them up read about the product and then can probably find a company near you.

Tex63

Well Known Member
I used the rust-oleum epoxyshield 10 years ago on a new poured garage floor. Only thing I would have done different is add the clear coating over it. It has held up well with no chips or peels, but the sheen dulled over time. Always wondered if I had added the clear to coat would it still look slick and wet years later.

Much like painting a car, the bulk of the work is in the prep.... Get it clean and grease/oil free before applying and it should turn out great.

Yield was right on target with label, took 3 gallons for a 3 car garage.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
With painted garage door coatings my understanding is that moisture is not your friend. Given the time it takes concrete to fully cure, some suggest putting saran wrap or some similar overnight on newer concrete (especially if it's not suspended) to see how much moisture is in the base.

That and good preparation (my buddy used a carbite sanding devise on a 2-3 year old pour) will hopefully lead to a good long term appication :).

Good luck!
TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Been seeing a new TV commercial in the last couple of weeks for Rustleoum Rock Solid floor covering. Has colors available.....red too!!!! Not sure what 2400sf would cost but think I'll check into it later this summer.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
IMG_6498.JPG IMG_6575.JPG I recently did the floor at my new garage with Dur-a-Flex Poly Thane in medium grey color with black, blue and grey flakes and glossy top coat in textured. So far so good as have dropped stuff and no effect. One of my cars does mark it's trail a bit and no cleanup problems.
Robert[/ATTACH]

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
View attachment 53945 View attachment 53946 I recently did the floor at my new garage with Dur-a-Flex Poly Thane in medium grey color with black, blue and grey flakes and glossy top coat in textured. So far so good as have dropped stuff and no effect. One of my cars does mark it's trail a bit and no cleanup problems.
Robert[/ATTACH]

Hi Robert,

When i come over next can i drool on your shop floor:D:love:pray

Steve

ragtp66

Well Known Member
As stated above the prep will determine the finish product and the advice about the moisture content using plastic taped to the floor is spot on. If there IS excess moisture there are products that will seal the concrete then allow you to topcoat. I went through some extensive training of a a product line called The Concrete Protector. If your going to do it yourself I highly recommend using a respirator with a fresh air supply .