Best place to get new gas gauge, clock etc for 60 impala

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Guys,
What is the best place to get a new (repro or other) set of gauges for Lynettes 60 impala?
It is the gas gauge and not the sender, clock is stuffed so was going to do that as well as a new Temp gauge

Steve

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Steve, good luck with the clock, I reckon they stopped when they were new.

The only working Chevy clock I ever had was in a 61 with RHD export dash, not sure whether its the dust that gets them or a just a weak coil.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I would have the original gauges restored/rebuilt by Williamson Instruments in Arkansas.
I just installed a set that was rebuilt by them, clock even works.
Used guages are out there but they might not look good and also not work.]
I would not trust any repro original guages & switches (from experience) unless you are planning on putting in some SW gauges(or similar in place of the originals) like these Stewart Warner gauges that I put in my 62 Impala SS Hardtop -Paul
DSCN4174.JPG

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks guys,

I have a spare set of gauges so i may send them as a core to get rebuilt and have new lenses put on them
There are a few restoration / parts suppliers in the USA that advertise rebuilt gauges but i dont know where they are rebuilt

Paul,
i like the SW gauge look in your 62 and was thinking the same for my 61

Steve

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Steve,
I can give you the gauge numbers for the gauges(see links below) The gas tank gauge has to be sent to Fuel Systems in Wisconsin to be changed to match the ohms on a new gas tank gauge in your tank(or keep the original gas gauge).
To say it again - the tank gauge and a used original gauge(he wanted a used gauge --I have another one) has to go to them to rebuild the "new tank gauge" to match the SW gas gauge ohm resistance" or it won't read right(cost was about $90 on the one I did about a year ago + the SW gauge cost. The gauges are 2 1/16 size top fit the factory holes in the dash without cutting the dash... I used some aluminum gauge spacers from Classic Industries to fit the factory openings in the dash and also to fit the new SW gauges. I have pictures of the back of my dash -just did another set of 3 last year for my 62 SS 409 convertible.
On the 60 Chevy gauges you can send new lenses or I think he can polish the original lenses.
Buy the way the restored gauges or converted Sun Tach's are guaranteed for life. You can ask them.
Their web site:
http://www.williamsons.com/

Paul

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Guys,
What is the best place to get a new (repro or other) set of gauges for Lynettes 60 impala?
It is the gas gauge and not the sender, clock is stuffed so was going to do that as well as a new Temp gauge

Steve

I was going to suggest Ray's garage but then again with his track record with refrigerators might not be the best choice. And a long plane ride to get there...prolly go with Paul's plan.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very easy, just remove the speedo cable, lights and wires and you'll see or feel a bolt/nut on the backside of the speedo housing. Remove that nut and the whole thing pops out.