Best Replacement Sheet Metal

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
After blasting my 60 Impala this past week I have found that I will need to replace my trunk and my right rear floor pan. Who makes the best replacement panels? Does any one make the complete trunk panel or will I have to buy the 3 separate parts. I have found several but they don't seem to have the correct drain plugs punched out in them. I would rather pay more for an exact reproduction than a replacement panel. And if no one makes these with holes already, how do you guys reproduce the holes and locations? With a hole saw? Also need the small quarter panel patch pieces. Does no one make the real small ones? I only need the small areas in front and behind the rear wheels. It almost seems like a waist to have to buy the 1/2 quarter panels. Thanks.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I feel that floor pans should come from Cars Inc. They are USA made and made in a Jig from what I was told. The prices are fair. Call Joe Z. at Cars Inc to ask questions.
I would try to find an original trunk lid, if you can.
Reproduction fenders, hoods and trunks are not to be depended on for fit compared to originals. For example we had a 63 Impala with one original fender and a pass repro fender(belonged to a friend who died ). The pass repro fender had a large "V shaped " gap along the factory hood. On the drivers side fit of the original fender and hood fit perfectly.
I look everywhere -if needed- for original hoods, fenders, trunks, doors for my 62's. For example we put a repro door skin on one of my doors and the skin did not fit - lots of extra work to make it fit.
A well know local quality restoration shop tells me that that take repro fenders apart to make them fit (we where talking about repro 69 Camaro fenders).

Phil I bet will give you the same advise about repro sheetmetal parts.
I recoginize that it is getting harder to find good original parts than even 5-10 years ago.

For the 1/4 panel pieces most only sell 1/4's in 2 pieces, to my knowledge. I used one 62 front repro and an NOS 4 door rear Drivers side on my 62 SS convertible.
For the pass side I got lucky 2 years ago and found an original rust free full pass 1/4 panel from a 62 Hardtop.

I agree with Tri power - I have used 4 door original parts on my 62's and friends cars a number of times. If you can find a rust free 4 door.

Paul

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the info. I'll car Cars Inc and see what they say about the floor and trunk pans. The trunk I was talking about was the trunk floor, not the lid. Mine should be in good shape on that piece. I have a good 4 door but that's the thing, it might be too good to cut up.

Brandon 348/320

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil Reed is a seller of Cars Inc.'s sheetmetal. I'm sure he could give great advice and service both before and after the sale.