Best reusable valve cover gaskets.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I love the black rubber/neoprene ones felpro used to make. They have been on and off more times than I can count over the last 7 or 8 years minimum and no leaks. I would gladly trade the several sets of cork felpros I have for the rubber type ones.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My experience with aftermarket valve covers (not the stock stamped steel ones) was that the cork seemed to work better than the rubber ones. Might be my specific combination. One side does have the scripted "Chevrolet" VCs with rubber gaskets, and it's holding up for now. The leaky side had several fittings, mostly with rubber on a several different VCs (including a stamped steel one), and it continued to drip a bit. Could be the installer (me) :).

The Moon and the cork gasket seem to be operating OK on one side for now, but it's just run for 15-20 minutes at a time. James did the honors on that one, glued a cork gasket to the Moon, maybe that's why it's holding up so well :) :) :).

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys. I've got cork, they seem to be hanging in there ok for the moment. Glueing them to the valve cover is a good idea Brian. I thought there might be a silicone option out there by now. I remember the black rubber ones from Felpro Dan, are they not available anymore?

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
A friend told me that he solved the problem with leaking valve cover gaskets on Chevrolets, by setting up the heads in his Bridgeport, and taking a small cut on the valve cover sealing surface of the head, so there was a flat machined surface for the gasket. He suggested that I do this to my car, but it was too late, since the engine was already built and in the car, when he told me about this. He raced Fords, but built engines for the Chevrolet guys. Never wanted to share his winning secrets with other Ford people. I stopped in to say hello to him today, and he was setting up a valve body in the Bridgeport to make some change to it, but I learned a long time ago, never ask what he is doing, because he doesn't like sharing his secrets.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think speedway motors has some of the rubber with the steel core Carl. I know that’s what I use for my big block Chevy’s. I’ll have to check again but I think I saw them for 409’s also:rub