Best way to store a crank

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I'm moving a bunch of stuff and that includes some cranks I hope to use in the future. What is the best way to store a gaggle of crankshafts long term (more than a year)?

Thanks in advance!

TomK

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
take a 2x12 and use a hole saw to cut some holes and then rip it down the center. lay cranks in the saddles you just made. Support them at the 1,3, and 5 main. Wipe them with an oily rag and put them in garbage bags. You technically shouldn't lay them down without being supported. Or you can stand them up in the corner and knock them over. That's probably what I would do. :doh

wristpin

Well Known Member
In my garage Tom :dance!!!
Wipe the crank down with a penetrating fluid spray. When its cleaned up that way then do not touch it with bare fingers and hands! Body acids will rust what you touch. Then spray it down with a good spray grease or wipe it down with thin coat of synthetic grease. Wrap it in the ol lady's saran wrap and lay it down. Debate is horizontal or vertical regards bending over time. It won't bend...ever. New Edit...I just read Ishiftem and wood notched is a good way to protect it from rolling. The thing I disagree with is the oily rag...oil does absorb moisture which causes rust. Ever see cast rods or pushrods or such stored oily in a rag over time? Rust, bad.
As always my opinion developed from doing it right after doing it wrong.

Last edited:

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used to have a length of barn door channel under one of my benches that i could hang my cranks from by the balancer bolt or if they were older with no balancer bolt I would use bolts on the flywheel end. Worked good for me and never had them knocked over or tripped over them from laying down. Here is a link to the type of barn door channel I used http://m.acehardware.com/product/in..._clickid=1cfd248e-231f-4c16-87a6-a85f00cb5537

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Stop by the machine shop and see if they have some boxes that cranks come to them in and get some of the sheets of the oily paper that help control rust to put in the box with them.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Right now I have them sitting horizontal on shelves. Is that a bad idea?

Most cranks are cleaned and crack checked. I generally have them gone over (polished, etc.) prior to use.

Thanks!
TomK

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I would have to think that that is an old wife's tale.
A crankshaft is a pretty robust peace...I can think that one wound be damaged from laying flat.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I'm nervous, about standing them up, on the flywheel flange. :doh That's the way, some shops keep them, though. :clapMy machinist, even has rack, where his cranks, hang, from the crank flange. :clapThe 3 cranks I have, are coated with grease on all the journals, and wrapped in a plastic bag, lying down in cardboard boxes. So Far, So Good.:appl

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm nervous, about standing them up, on the flywheel flange. :doh That's the way, some shops keep them, though. :clapMy machinist, even has rack, where his cranks, hang, from the crank flange. :clapThe 3 cranks I have, are coated with grease on all the journals, and wrapped in a plastic bag, lying down in cardboard boxes. So Far, So Good.:appl

I'm seeing this thread a little on the late side. But, I do agree with skipxt4. With out asking anyone, that is the exact way I would have done it. Keep the grease on them and the moisture out of the plastic bag. One thread mentioned to lay them horizontally and support the crank at certain journals. I'm trying to understand the support end of it. What is expected to happen to the crank if it goes unsupported laying down?? The crank is a pretty strong, solid part. I don't see how it could go out of round, warp, etc. from it laying down, but that's just me, Carmine.